• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hotel - a contemporary opera

Share/Bookmark

Talking Hotel - a contemporary opera

Hello all,

I'm working on yet another theatre production - which is actually an opera.
    I have a libretto/script to work with - and thats it!
    The story takes place in 8 different hotel rooms, 'superimposed' on each other, so all performers are present at all times. We THINK this is the first time it has been performed in the US - and possibly the second performance ever.

You can have a listen here

My favorites so far are proabably H11 and H1-lonely.

I'm using Logic 7 on a dual 2ghz processor - Garritan, Phatmatik pro, an acoustic guitar and a drumset recorded with a simple 3 mic setup. I'll be playing some parts live and doing a bit of conducting and cueing, with backing tracks off an ipod.

i appreciate any comments.
    Thanks!
    Sam

Re: Hotel - a contemporary opera

"I'm using Logic 7 on a dual 2ghz processor - Garritan, Phatmatik pro, an acoustic guitar and a drumset recorded with a simple 3 mic setup. I'll be playing some parts live and doing a bit of conducting and cueing, with backing tracks off an ipod."

Interesting! I've heard of others using an Ipod recently in live performance.
    How do you synchronize the material with live players?
    .. Chuck

Re: Hotel - a contemporary opera

Quote Originally Posted by chagar
    "I'm using Logic 7 on a dual 2ghz processor - Garritan, Phatmatik pro, an acoustic guitar and a drumset recorded with a simple 3 mic setup. I'll be playing some parts live and doing a bit of conducting and cueing, with backing tracks off an ipod."

Interesting! I've heard of others using an Ipod recently in live performance.
    How do you synchronize the material with live players?
    .. Chuck
    yes, when i said i'll be doing a bit of conducting, i meant the singers - i wish i could get a group together for this - a violinist, cello, drummer and keyboardist would be great...but time and space don't allow.

I'll be the only player - i'll take the finished tracks, mute the sections i'd like to play and put those on the ipod. If count in's are needed, i'll pan the music to the left and put a click track on the right - feed the right, clicktrack to an earpiece and the music to the PA system. simple and reliable. I've used this setup when playing with my band also - you just need a really good drummer. Ableton Live is a great program for this too - if your pieces need to adapt to changing performances, you can handle it.

for me, Computers + Live performance = sweating bullets !

the old ipods used to take a while to play sometimes...like 1 or 2 seconds, but now i have a mini and it seems to be a bit snappier.

Go Back to forum