• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I Need Someone Who Really Can Fix This

Share/Bookmark

I Need Someone Who Really Can Fix This

Hello all.

Cutting to the chase, I have PC that really needs someone who KNOWS what they are doing to get working. It's my GIGA computer, and runs VSL and that's it...the recording is all done on the Mac.

It's a P4 that I have had custom made, the guy is nowhere to be found who made it, and it ran fine for most of the year until lately. I do not know how to troubleshoot PCs and already spent 275 at Best Buy having them "fix" it. They did fix some things, but at this point, I cannot launch anything after starting up. It immediately crashes when opening Giga, or VSL Perf Tool. About the only thing I can open is non music stuff like an address book etc.

I am looking for someone, who would take a look at this thing and give me a price on what they would charge to get it up and running if I ship it to them. I am exasperated and need to get work done. Sometimes I can get it to launch the programs after about 20 restarts, then I'm so happy it's working that I keep the PC on for days and days. But that's crazy, I want to be able to turn it off without going through this.

If any of you guys know someplace to send this, or would take it on yourself, please email me at tom@aerovons.com or leave a message here.

Thanks so much
    Tom
    MAC GUY

Re: I Need Someone Who Really Can Fix This

Sorry to hear about your problems! I'm sure I can't help since I long abandoned my PC in favor of doing everything out of the Mac which works really well for me.

On the other hand, I found the Aerovons story to be quite interesting if not bittersweet. Would make a cool movie!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

I don't take on projects like this, but if you're interested to know what I'd do to fix your PC, here it is. Most of the time it's better to start from scratch than having to band-aid.

1. Make sure you have a copy of all of the software that you want to run on the PC, including a copy of Windows XP (I'm assuming since you're running GS 3.x you're using Win XP.)

2. Back up all your files.

3. Completely reformat your system hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. (You do this by booting to the Win XP CD)

4. Test the system for any malfunctions at this point. If you have any problems running the system, after the reinstallation of Windows was done properly, then you know you have a hardware issue. Start troubleshooting hardware devices one at a time (memory, hard drive, etc.,). If no issues (majority of "PC malfunctions" I see are software related), go to step 5.

5. Install your sound devices/hardware. Test the system again.

6. Install software, one at a time, testing the system each and every time you install a new piece of software. Create a system restore point everytime you add a new piece of software. If the problem comes back after you've installed a certain software, then troubleshooting starts: hardware/software compatibility, service packs, bios, patches, etc.

7. If no problems come back, you're all set. Get a copy of Symatec Ghost (or a similar product) and take an image of your system hardrive. Keep a copy of the image in a safe place. If a year from now some problem comes back, you can restore your drive within minutes.

Some PC manufacturers will provide a copy of the original image that shipped with the PC, this is something you can ask for from anyone that builds a PC for you. They may, or may not include it in the price, but it sure is worth having!

Quote Originally Posted by Anytempo
    I don't take on projects like this, but if you're interested to know what I'd do to fix your PC, here it is. Most of the time it's better to start from scratch than having to band-aid.

1. Make sure you have a copy of all of the software that you want to run on the PC, including a copy of Windows XP (I'm assuming since you're running GS 3.x you're using Win XP.)

2. Back up all your files.

3. Completely reformat your system hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. (You do this by booting to the Win XP CD)

4. Test the system for any malfunctions at this point. If you have any problems running the system, after the reinstallation of Windows was done properly, then you know you have a hardware issue. Start troubleshooting hardware devices one at a time (memory, hard drive, etc.,). If no issues (majority of "PC malfunctions" I see are software related), go to step 5.

5. Install your sound devices/hardware. Test the system again.

6. Install software, one at a time, testing the system each and every time you install a new piece of software. Create a system restore point everytime you add a new piece of software. If the problem comes back after you've installed a certain software, then troubleshooting starts: hardware/software compatibility, service packs, bios, patches, etc.

7. If no problems come back, you're all set. Get a copy of Symatec Ghost (or a similar product) and take an image of your system hardrive. Keep a copy of the image in a safe place. If a year from now some problem comes back, you can restore your drive within minutes.

Some PC manufacturers will provide a copy of the original image that shipped with the PC, this is something you can ask for from anyone that builds a PC for you. They may, or may not include it in the price, but it sure is worth having!
    I did this on my PC and not only do I know the thing inside out now, but the machine is rock solid.

Just make sure you have a couple of solid hours to do this. I did this on my mac too and it took me 15min. But on a PC Boy it took some work.

Cheers,

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Sorry to hear about your problems! I'm sure I can't help since I long abandoned my PC in favor of doing everything out of the Mac which works really well for me.

On the other hand, I found the Aerovons story to be quite interesting if not bittersweet. Would make a cool movie!
    Do you stream samples off your main mac too? Besides Logic, what's your setup? Do tell.

Jose

I had a similar problem with my Gigastudio. I needed to make sure that Gigastudio was not using the same sounddriver as the Windows system did. Once I had that set I did not have any more problem with this.

Go to Gigstudio and its settings and chose the correct sounddriver and quantization/dynamics (commonly 44 khz/16 bit). Then go into Windows control panel and select another sound driver (not the same as for Gigastudio) for Windows system sound. (Selecting "No device" or disabling the system sounds did not help me). Then re-boot and re-check what sounddriver Windows uses (to make sure it hasn't changed since the re-boot).
    Also, selecting Gigastudio's MIDI IN and OUT ports to "None" for all ports made it easier to fire it up and THEN configure it.

This is an easy thing to do, so I suggest give it a shot. Nothing can go wrong.
    Good luck with the problem
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

what's your problem with the pc? Anywayz having a program crash right away is probably driver confliction. Was this machine just buit and you haven't even used it yet? If that is the case you'll need to reload the whole pc win Xp*(no point in going to a back up)* After you install everything again redoing windows and all hardware that need to be installed by drivers, make sure you have the latest drivers installed for each device. Then install you music software. Best buy wouldn't be able to fix your problem because I dout they know Giga and Vsl make sure the drivers and computer are to spec with Giga and Vsl Requirements. Software crashes because of Drivers.
    And Ninja!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Do you stream samples off your main mac too? Besides Logic, what's your setup? Do tell.

I use EXS24 (I converted all of my Giga libraries into it), Kontakt 2 for most of my old Akai things, and QLSO Gold for the rest. Stylus RMX handles my Loops and other REX converted things.

I'm running on a Dual 2ghz G5 with 2 internal SATA drives and 3gigz of RAM.

With this set up I can stream as many instruments as I generally need (usually between 28 and 32) for most of my orchestral stuff. I usually run two Space Designer reverbs that I have assigned to Buses.

This set up has been working well for me, Logic keeps chugging along and I usually never miss a beat. I simply use and call up what I need as I need it, EXS24 is definitely very efficient and light on both the processors and the drives.

My set up will not allow me to have a "template" with just about every single sound already loaded up, that would require about 100+ EXS and Kontakt instances which I simply don't need.

I am also not as finnicky about the realism of my orchestrations. I think I get pretty close for the most part, but I don't have the time nor the incling to spend hours and hours tweaking and layering things to death. Most of the top libraries nowadays sound good out of the box IMHO and I'd rather keep things relatively simple.

Ever since I abandoned the PC and Giga I feel much more efficient and I don't feel like my music has suffered in quality, actually quite the contrary.

But that's just me, others would probably find the idea of abandoning a PC not right for their needs.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

honestly If I didn't have everything for the pc for software I would have a mac for music and audio production and the PC for hmmm Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion LOL!!!
    My friend at his studio has this huge Pro-tools console and 5 macs it has only crashed on him once.

But if you just use the PC for just music and Audio the PC is ok
    After I upgraded everything I am running with out any flaws at all.

I look to buying a Mac for doing the Audio Production and using the PC for composition and Seqencing. Someday in the future.

and Ninja
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Thanks Kays, Very nice.

Jose

Go Back to forum