• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: POLL: The Pre-Order

Share/Bookmark

Question POLL: The Pre-Order

What are your thoughts on pre-orders?

Given that the preorder price is a generous discount for those willing to participate (say 2535% off) and there is detailed information and demos posted showcasing aspects of the library. Also guarenteeing your orders to go out the second they've arrived to us form the duplication plant.

Are preorders a good idea, or should product announcements be held until they are ready to ship?
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: POLL: The Pre-Order

Personally, I think pre-order discounts put the buyer in too difficult a position. They cut down the ability to make an informed decision to virtually nil. At least give some time after the release for a discount, preferably with some demos.

Just my $.02 for what its worth.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    What are your thoughts on pre-orders?

Given that the preorder price is a generous discount for those willing to participate (say 2535% off) and there is detailed information and demos posted showcasing aspects of the library. Also guarenteeing your orders to go out the second they've arrived to us form the duplication plant.

Are preorders a good idea, or should product announcements be held until they are ready to ship?
    If the information were detailed and the demos thorough, I see no problem with pre-orders. However, the reality is almost always that information is minimal and demos non-existant. Now that is something I simply cannot abide. 'Faith' purchases simply do not compute.

As someone who's participated in a number of preorders before, I think they're great under the circumstances you describe. While the delays in actual release dates that might result can be frustrating, I prefer to know what products are going to be available in the future so that I have more options to choose from. Getting in line early with a discount isn't bad either.

Just don't do what Line 6 has done and announce a product shipping in three months and then be quiet for the next year while you actually complete it. That'll drive people bonkers!

So, say the manual was made available, two or three demos in different genres, where 90% of the demo was created using only the library in question and the discount ran for one week before orders shipped and a week after it had begun shipping?

20 Things

Depending on how diverse the lib is, I'd probably want to hear more demos. One week either side isn't very long at all. I'm used to about a month's notice (or more).

I don't know how much help one week after shipping will be to anyone since that isn't really long enough to get user reaction. (I presume that is why people would want it after.) A couple weeks either side would allow for some advanced warning and give time to get (very) initial user response.

No matter how much I respect the developer, I buy based on the demos and the specs, so of course they've gotta be there.

But it's extremely simple. The launch dates slide, so it amounts to a loan with a fixed return but without a fixed term. And I can't accept that, so I don't consider pre-orders.

But how about this? I'll take the 30% discount and you go ahead and charge my card and begin to get your costs covered and your risks mitigated and whatever you need to keep on developing kool new stuff. But I get an additional 5% off for every week that the launch date slips.

Brian,

I understand your concerns with that. Almost every developer I know does pre-orders. Its not that a library might not yet be finished (though it is in some cases), but in other cases *ahem* the library is already finished minus duplication and advertising and pre-orders are a great way to spread the word about a new library and offer a chance for customers to get it at a discounted price while we go thru the steps of duplication and shrink wrapping etc.

I was just curious seeing so many developers do pre-orders and some are very successful and sometimes I hear from customers saying they just wish everyone would wait til its shipping to begin announcing and selling.

20 Things

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. I'd love to hear form others too.

20 Things

There are monetary concerns too. It also depends on how much of a discount is offered, and how far in advance of shipping we are talking about. For instance, there are a lot of people who've pre-ordered a certain "pro"-upgrade to a particular library (wink-wink). Given the amount of money that they shelled out for the pre-order (over $1000), I think that they're having to wait an awful long time. But maybe that's just me. That also means that you've REALLY got to trust that the developer is going to come through on his promise; not only that he'll deliver, but that he'll deliver the anticipated quality.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind saving some money on a pre-order if it was a $300-$500 purchase.

Just my 2 cents...

Go Back to forum