• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Video and Cubase

Share/Bookmark

Video and Cubase

I have a decent PC DAW which I currently use for all my work. If I need to work with a video track I just import the video to Cubase SX3 and use the video window.

I'm considering buying a laptop to be used as a secondary sampler and a mobile sampling setup. I'm also thinking about getting a video projector. I was wondering if I could use the laptop to run a second Cubase, connect the laptop to the projector via DVI/VGA and to the DAW via some digital connection running System Link. This way I could have two displays connected to my primary DAW and the laptop would play the video to the projector.

Is the video feature included in Cubase SE or SL? Is there a way to run full screen video in Cubase? I tried to find info at Steinberg but couldn't find anything detailed. Cubase.net seems to be down again.

There is also a firewire output option in Cubase. Does that mean that I can connect a video camera straight to the firewire connector and it receives the video from Cubase without any hassle? Are there any cheap conversion boxes that would convert the firewire to s-video for the projector?

Is anyone using something similar? I want to run the video from a computer so that I don't have to wait for tape syncing.

Re: Video and Cubase

Quote Originally Posted by janila
    I have a decent PC DAW which I currently use for all my work. If I need to work with a video track I just import the video to Cubase SX3 and use the video window.
    The video support in cubase has been a little buggy, and I'm told it hasn't improved much in SX3. Very unfortunate I think.
    I'm considering buying a laptop to be used as a secondary .. I'm also thinking about getting a video projector. I was wondering if I could use the laptop to run a second Cubase, connect the laptop to the projector via DVI/VGA and to the DAW via some digital connection running System Link. This way I could have two displays connected to my primary DAW and the laptop would play the video to the projector.
    Theoretically possible, but probably tricky to get stable. Cubase can send a bunch of signals out which you can sync to, yes, but if you plan to run inly the video in the laptop there are probably better ways of doing that than using cubase as a media player.
    Is the video feature included in Cubase SE or SL? Is there a way to run full screen video in Cubase?
    Not sure about SE/SL. But full screen (in SX) full screen video is possible by simply double clicking the Directshow Window (or right click and select "full screen" is you use Quicktime).
    There is also a firewire output option in Cubase. Does that mean that I can connect a video camera straight to the firewire connector and it receives the video from Cubase without any hassle?
    I doubt that. I don't think Cubase has any drivers that controls Firewire video in/out. You will probably be more success ful running the video on the same machine as your main cubase, or sending a sync signal out from you main machine to any device that will play the video separately.
    Are there any cheap conversion boxes that would convert the firewire to s-video for the projector?
    Doubt that too. Firewire is usually more raw data, while s-video is video/audio data stream. I imagine you must play the video on a computer or media device and send that video data to the projector.

I'd suggest you play your video on a separate computer, using a media software that can read sync (from main cubase) and send that video data to a separate screen standing next to your cubase screen. Extract the audio from the video track and import that as a wave file in cubase to hear any dialogue and stuff.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Is the video feature included in Cubase SE or SL? Is there a way to run full screen video in Cubase? I tried to find info at Steinberg but couldn't find anything detailed. Cubase.net seems to be down again.
    Don't know about SE but i have SL. Video support is there and Yes You can run it full screen. I do like that: I have two monitors running when doing a music/sound design to video and on one i have video only and on the second i have cubase project.

Thanks for your answers!

My problem is the fact that I can only connect two monitors to my DAW and I don't want to use either one of them for video. I have the project on the main monitor and mixer and plugins on the other and it is essential that I see all of it all the time. Running the video in a small window isn't that great either. Most likely I will get the projector anyway so being able to use it as my video monitor would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    I'd suggest you play your video on a separate computer, using a media software that can read sync (from main cubase) and send that video data to a separate screen standing next to your cubase screen.
    Can you name a software capable of that? What would the sync be? MTC? I haven't been lucky finding a media player that could read MTC.

Thanks for your answers!

My problem is the fact that I can only connect two monitors to my DAW and I don't want to use either one of them for video. I have the project on the main monitor and mixer and plugins on the other and it is essential that I see all of it all the time. Running the video in a small window isn't that great either. Most likely I will get the projector anyway so being able to use it as my video monitor would be great.

Can you name a software capable of that? What would the sync be? MTC? I haven't been lucky finding a media player that could read MTC.
    If you are running both monitors in analogue you can get a splitter for some video cards (Matrox P650 for example) which will allow you to send the movie to a TV. That way you will be able to use your two monitors in the way that you wish to.

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    If you are running both monitors in analogue you can get a splitter for some video cards (Matrox P650 for example) which will allow you to send the movie to a TV. That way you will be able to use your two monitors in the way that you wish to.

Daryl
    I'm not sure if I understood you correctly but how can I send two separate signals from one output? I'm using a Matrox G550 which has a s-video out (if I remember correctly) but it can't be used simultaneously as a third screen (if I remember correctly). I would also like to free the resources needed to run the video from the DAW.

I use video my videos within cubase - so far. If you compress the videofile using a codec which isn't heavy on the cpu, then it doesn't take up much processing power at all - even though the video file might be large. I use MS Video 1 codec or Quicktime DV mostly. My CPU meter goes up one notch when playing those which is not much. (using P IV @ 3ghz). The best way is really to run the AVI completely uncompressed - it's Large (with a capitol L) but doesn't require much to play from the CPU.

However, a video player software that syncs to incoming signal? hmm .. no, I don't know any particular player that does that. I never checked, have no need for it myself, but I'm sure they are out there.
    I know most audio editors can sync to incoming signal AND show video as well, that might be an alternative.

... and Ninja

This is taken from the Digital Performer info, not from Cubase. I assume that the firewire output option in Cubase is similar.

The Movie window has the ability to output a DV-formatted QuickTime movie via FireWire. You can then use a standard DV camera or FireWire conversion box to convert the FireWire video into composite video to view it as full screen video on a standard TV or video monitor—even on iMacs or laptops.

This is taken from the Digital Performer info, not from Cubase. I assume that the firewire output option in Cubase is similar.

The Movie window has the ability to output a DV-formatted QuickTime movie via FireWire. You can then use a standard DV camera or FireWire conversion box to convert the FireWire video into composite video to view it as full screen video on a standard TV or video monitor—even on iMacs or laptops.
    Wow, I didn't know that one. IF that is true, the question now is to how much power it eats while doing that, since not only has the computer have to play the video (not to mention all audio) but also to transmit it through a central system device (firewire) ...

Doesn't work in Cubase PC

Daryl

Go Back to forum