• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A few gigastudio related problems...have you had them?

Share/Bookmark

A few gigastudio related problems...have you had them?

First, I've had sustained voices drop out then other voices are going on, and it isn't like I'm maxing out my polyphony...so I'm not sure why that is happening. Also, now that I have more RAM and have done some tweaks to improve loading, I've started having little graphics related issues...like the top bar of the window not being visible...or being told that the program cannot write the font bits? Has anyone experienced this and found any solutions.

Thanks

Re: A few gigastudio related problems...have you had them?

Polyphony problems like the one you mentioned, graphics issues (stuck window resizings, resulting in a frozen "cascade"), and instrument loading problems are all plaguing me right now. My solution is to disable everything internet and Norton related in the windows services. Pain in the butt. But it works.

Is your giga machine your internet machine as well?

Belbin

I've had all those problems at one time. My solution : 4 hard drives. Windows XP installation on drive C for all pro audio software (ONLY). 2nd Windows installation on drive D for all other garbage, i.e. internet, anti-virus, DVD recorder/players, Word processors, Photoshop, RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, etc. 3rd hard drive E has your sequences and giga performances, drive F has your samples. I've had no hang-ups or problems of any sort since I did this. By-the-way, external firewire drives work jim-dandy in place of criminally-priced SCSI drives. There... now if only someone would have told me this when Giga 3 came out. I would have saved so much time & money. Maybe by doing this I'll get a few brownie points in Heaven, i dunno

I just discovered the services combination that allows me a) stable giga use and b) internet. Let me know and I'll send a list. Can't afford two mor HD's. That'd be cool, though.

Belbin

I'd love to see that list. Also, what are the specs on the computer you are using?

Thanks

The following services are set to automatic. The rest are disabled or manual for stuff you use, but may want out of the way.(Things like IMAPI Cd Burning)
    I don't know for sure if I need all these, or if there are others I may eventually need. All I know is that right now I can both surf the web and use giga in a stable environment. Not changing anything now.

Hope this helps:

COM+ event system
    Crypkey License
    Cryptrographic Services
    DCOM Server Process Launcher
    DHCP Client
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Error Reporting Service
    IPSEC Services
    Norton Antivirus Auto Protect Service
    Plug and Play
    Protected Storage
    Remote Procedure Call
    Remote Procedure Call Locator
    Server
    Symantec Event Manager
    Symantec Settings Manager
    Symantec SPBBCSvc
    Windows Audio
    Windows Management Instrumentation
    Workstation

It's an HP pavillion w/Extra HD and 2 gigs of RAM

P4 2.93 GHz.
    Asus MOBO (I know no more-the cursed thing didn't come with any documentation worth speaking of)
    4x 512 MB DDR Ram, 400.
    1xSamsung 160 gig HD (system, software and files)
    1xWestern Digital 80 gig HD (Gig files)
    HP DVD RW, Slaved to sample HD.
    M-Audio Delta 44 audio card, latest GSIF II update.

Sonar 4 Studio Edition (latest 4.04 I think)
    GS 3.04 Orchestra
    Tweaks per Tascam

There somethin' lurkin' in them thar services that don't like giga, whatever it is, it won't let giga, or my graphics stuff at the memory. And it ain't Norton....Hope you apply these services (you may need others, of course, depending on what else you're doing) and they magically make everything ok. I thank my lucky stars that I'm in business (for now).

Good luck!
    Belbin
    Last edited by belbin; 05-11-2005 at 10:08 PM. Reason: omission

Can you try setting these to MANUAL? Why do you bother having Virus protection enabled on an A/V platform? Do you really need it? This is asking for trouble.

Crypkey License
    Cryptrographic Services
    DCOM Server Process Launcher
    DHCP Client
    Norton Antivirus Auto Protect Service
    Symantec Event Manager
    Symantec Settings Manager
    Symantec SPBBCSvc

what other applications are you loading on startup?

I use this computer for the internet, too. My last two machines were RIDDLED
    with spyware and crap (roommates mysteriously clear my history and temp folder while I'm out.....hemmmm, wonder why???). Virus protection is essential. I know I shouldn't need it, but I've only got one computer....one day, all this will change.

As for auto versus manual, I want to be able to boot up and have my choice of giga or internet. Auto lets me do that without acessing services. As I said, there is further testing to do to find out if any of these things are un-needed. Right now it all works fine, so testing be damned!

Belbin

Crypkey License (needed to start GS3)
    DHCP Client (Internet Access/therefore optional)
    Event Log (optional)
    Plug and Play
    Remote Procedure Call
    Windows Audio
    Windows Management Instrumentation

These are the services I use, and everything works. I enable print spooler when printing, and WIA when using my scanner(rarely).
    Supposedly services just use a little memory, otherwise they are harmless.

A big performance tweak is the infamous:
    Settings/Cntrl panel/System/Advanced_Performance Settings/Click the "Adjust for Best Performance", then the Advanced tab_Processor Scheduling set to Background Services, and Memory Useage to "Programs", although that one doesn't seem to make as big a difference.

The last thread is a good example of limiting your services to only whatyou need. However, some services, such as virus protection, can use a lot of memory. There are some that I have researched that can use up to 30 meg.

What I do is set up different machine configurations and disable the services I need in each boot configuration. For example, on my laptop, I will have a wireless configuration when I go on the road, and I will have a composers configuration for when I am at home working with networking disabled. I choose on boot.

Heres how:

goto settings/controlpanel/system
    under hardware tab there is a hardware profile
    copy and rename as many profiles as you will need. (i have wireless on road, wireless at home, composers config)
    adjust each config properties - make sure you have the ability to choose the profiles on boot.

reboot your machine and choose the profile to configure
    goto settings/controlpanel/system/hardware/devicemanager
    disable any hardware you do NOT need for this hardware configuration only
    examples are modems, external devices, network adaptors
    now, goto services and click on a service that you want to disable
    press the log on tab and there will be a box on the bottom of the screen to disable the services for that profile only.

I believe this will allow you to keep the network connectivity and virus protection, while allowing you to have a DAW/GIG workstation. You mearly need to boot it to your needs, and it should get you some additional memory.

Go Back to forum