• Register
  • Help

Topic: Score and mp3,

Share/Bookmark

Smile Score and mp3,

Hi, everyone. For those who e-mailed me about getting scores of my music,
    I put one with mp3 on the edu. section of my site. I try to put more music and score in the future.

The score is PDF (unprintable, sorry). But you can get the idea.
    http://www.wisemanproject.com/011stu...-goinhome.html

This music, Going Home with You, was written for students in the beginning and intermediate string class at Santa Monica College. Very simple writing, but it works.

Hope it helps you.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Re: Score and mp3,

Hi Ken. You should examine your bowings. For example, by the end of measure 3, you have an imbalance of 7 beats worth of down bow and only 2 beats worth of up bow, and all at the same dynamic. That's more than a 3 to 1 imbalance ratio. It might not be a problem at pp or softer, but at mp it'll be a problem.

Cheers,

Scott
    Last edited by scottnorma; 05-11-2005 at 02:18 AM.

Smile Re: Score and mp3,

Hi, Scott.

I am a violist myself. Music like this, the bowing imbalance thing will be a problem when the player is real beginners, because they have not yet learned controlling both pressure of the bow and speed of the bow.
    If I am teaching the beginning class, I usually ask them to forget about the slur and play correct note. If the class is intermediate, I ask them to play one bow direction in each bar (except cello and bass). Then if they are able to do that, I ask them to follow the bowing. Like bar 1 and 2 of the violin, on the 3rd beat, player must move bow upward faster with less pressure to balance, and it is more difficult thing. But for good players, this is no problem.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

That's fine Ken. I can hear a bit of a push on those third beats which hinders the phrasing a bit. On the other hand, it's not that big of a deal since it is somewhat masked by the chordal texture, and if it doesn't bother you then that's understandable.

Cheers.

Ken-P, great that you share that with us, many thanks!

Very peaceful, beautiful piece, lovely rendition. I like the deceptive cadence 6 measures from the end.

I'll admit, I expected the raised 5th of the scale in measure 11 to resolve on the b rather than go back to "a." I would have called it a b flat if it went back to "a" I'd be tempted in the viola in measure 12 to have a half note b followed by a quarter note "a" to move to "g" in the next measure. This raised 5th at this position in the theme reminds me of another "going home" theme written 112 years ago, where the a natural (in d flat major) did resolve to b flat, and the pocess occured at about the same "time" in the theme as yours has ..... just my two cents.

David

Ken-P:

Absolutely FANTASTIC! The melody, orchestration, and use of GPO is absolutely outstanding. You have a great tool at your disposal and all of us on the GPO site are eager to hear more.

This short piece demonstrates how IMPORTANT it is to study theory (especially 4-part harmony). The movement of the lines are beautiful and they should be a study for second-year theory students (the resolutions particularly).

Composition Students: Here you have a great example of 4-part writing that can be made in a full orchestration--just from these four lines. Pay attention, I urge you.......

Ken, your contribution to this list is commendable. Thank you for posting the PDF and Mp3 files. What a learning device.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Ken-P:

Absolutely FANTASTIC! The melody, orchestration, and use of GPO is absolutely outstanding. You have a great tool at your disposal and all of us on the GPO site are eager to hear more.

This short piece demonstrates how IMPORTANT it is to study theory (especially 4-part harmony). The movement of the lines are beautiful and they should be a study for second-year theory students (the resolutions particularly).

Composition Students: Here you have a great example of 4-part writing that can be made in a full orchestration--just from these four lines. Pay attention, I urge you.......

Ken, your contribution to this list is commendable. Thank you for posting the PDF and Mp3 files. What a learning device.

John

Hi Ken,

I would dearly love to see a copy of both the GPO file and score for your competition piece (especially if it was done with Finale)!! To see even a short extract or a few bars would be so instructive. I'm still struggling with the percussion and I'd love to see how you notated and created the suspended cymbal rolls and some of other percussion lines in particular. Would you consider making a short extract available please to help those of us that are still climbing the learning curve?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    The melody, orchestration, and use of GPO is absolutely outstanding.

John, this is not GPO, but real players.

Ken, this is beautiful and full of emotion, great writing. I guess I could gather up a heap of things I would do different, but then it wouldn't be your piece!

I liked it!

dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    John, this is not GPO, but real players.

Ken, this is beautiful and full of emotion, great writing. I guess I could gather up a heap of things I would do different, but then it wouldn't be your piece!

I liked it!

dpDan
    Dan: How can you tell the difference? GPO IS the real player.........Heh, Heh. Thanks, I guess that's why I heard the noise at the beginning and ending. I'm so hooked on GPO that I don't even know the real thing when I hear it. Hey, that's good.

John (Jack)
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum