• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestral Emulation not possible with Pro Tools?!

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral Emulation not possible with Pro Tools?!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    My name is Paul. I am a Pro Tools LE user.

Over the past year I have been getting into some work that requires use of some of the excellent orchestral emulation programs. I am wanting to take it to the next level but not sure where to turn. I need to make a move in about a month on a system that will give me more power.

1.Giga not available for Mac. We all know that.

2. I bought GPO, loved it, but quickly found out that is does not work the way it should. You only get about 30% or 40% of the tracks you would get if you are using DP, Logic, Sonar or Nuendo. Rumors of updates swirl but I have ben waiting for over a year so I am not holding my breath anymore.

3.There is a well documented problem with Native Instruments plugs with Pro Tools. A few weeks ago there was a post from a developer at EWQL, that the new Kompakt interface shipping with RA and Collosuss is now Pro Tools friendly. He said an update would be available for all other EWQL programs. On this news I bought the Platinum Strings library, with the intent of buying a second G5 Mac to connect to my Dual 1.25 to make a decent set-up to drive Platinum.

I am worried that I have not heard any mention of this “update” anywhere and I can’t seem to find anyone who has RA or Collossus to verify or deny that this new update will finally allow us to use EWQL programs in Pro Tools LE.

Should I just cut bait and buy two PC’s and Sonar to run Platinum?

I have read enough posts that adding a PC to my MAC will create many headaches and complications. I want any easy, stramlined hastle free set-up that works.

Any advice?

Re: Orchestral Emulation not possible with Pro Tools?!

Paul,

The GPO player update optimized for Pro Tools should be available very soon. Please email me and I'll provide you with more information.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by dubaifox
    Should I just cut bait and buy two PC’s and Sonar to run Platinum?

I have read enough posts that adding a PC to my MAC will create many headaches and complications. I want any easy, stramlined hastle free set-up that works.

Any advice?
    Nahhhh, I use a pc with my mac and have no problems at all. I run EWQLSO gold on a stand alone PC with a vsti host only program called Forte. It's flawless and allows me some more freedom on my long in the tooth mac. Even with a speedy new mac I might consider running the PC along side it. It's worth it just to have more room on your DAW for awesome sounding IR's.

Cheers,

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    Nahhhh, I use a pc with my mac and have no problems at all. It's flawless....
    I'll look into this, but how are you clocking your set-up. I am needing to make professionally mastered CD's and I keep hearing people say that this introduces timing errors and jitter problems, whereas something like FX teleport does not have these problems, but this is not yet available for mac.

Thanks for the tip though, I will look into Forte!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by synergy543
    Not exactly true
    According to the FX Teleport website it is not available for Mac and wont be for at least six months. What have you heard?

Thanks for the info about Tiger. I have heard this but there wont be a working version of Pro Tools and Tiger for 6 to 8 weeks according to Digidesign, which could mean three months. I need to get working in about a month.

Thanks for the input!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I'll look into this, but how are you clocking your set-up. I am needing to make professionally mastered CD's and I keep hearing people say that this introduces timing errors and jitter problems, whereas something like FX teleport does not have these problems, but this is not yet available for mac.

These people who talk about timing errors and jitter need to get a life!!!!

Seriously, clocking two PCs or multiple platforms to one another is just a matter of good quality hardware. You could lightpipe in from a Gigastudio rig, or from any sort of rig, by just wordclocking everything and that's that.

Everyone needs to remember that we listen to this music via vibrating cardboard cones.

I'm a nerd, but I do believe in setting up the clocking scheme properly - which usually just means distributing clock down separate lines from one rather than using lightpipe for clocking.

dubai, that's an "I've heard that string is 16" long" statement. The only reason you'd be likely to increase the jitter is if you daisychain the clock. It's fine if you distribute it from one point. There's nothing illegal about using multiple digital devices, whether they're DAWs or anything else. That's the way these toys are designed to be used.

FXT's advantage is that it's convenient and cheaper than buying hardware for each machine. I could be wrong, but I don't see why its jitter specs would be any better. Doesn't ethernet send data in packets just like Firewire?

I'm not quite sure why you would need to clock. Maybe I'm missing something. All I do is use my PC as a standalone Sampler with Forte or Giga. Just midi notes going into the PC through a midi interface in the usb port. I keep all my rhythm stuff on my Mac right along with my DAW using Reason rewired into DP. No timing errors until I run out of computer power.

Are you trying to run a multiple Daw setup with one daw on a mac and the other on a PC? Seems like over kill to me but if that's the case I would just send wordclock through spdf.

Cheers,

Jose

Quote Originally Posted by josejherring
    All I do is use my PC as a standalone Sampler with Forte or Giga.
    Great, but I mention in my post I have already invested in many EWQL NI Libraries (including Platinum) and intend to buy more, I love their stuff and think the interface is elegant. I also am using Pro Tools with an 002r, you are using DP.

So.......

Can I use a PC the same way if I am using EWQL, using my Mac Dual 1.25 with Pro Tools LE as my main DAW?

I'd love to hear from someone who has this set up to know that it works. I have this same thread going on the Digidesign forum as well as the NI forum. With very few responses ( 0 on the NI forum) I can't even find 1 PT user who owns the new Kontakt interface included with RA and Collossus to know if it solves the problem with NI and Digidesign.

Seem like Pro Tools users are a different breed.

I'd tell you, except I don't have them installed on the Mac that runs my MIX hardware. (sniff) WAAAAAH

PT users aren't a different breed, but PT isn't as strong a composition program as the sequencers are. I love PT, but I use it for editing and production, not writing.

Go Back to forum