• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Gustaf Grefberg ripping off Harry Gregson Williams in Chronicles of Riddick score.

Share/Bookmark

Gustaf Grefberg ripping off Harry Gregson Williams in Chronicles of Riddick score.

While playing Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, the action cue made me say "WTF?!" out loud. That cue is almost a straight rip-off of Harry Gregson Williams' score for Metal Gear Solid 2. The percussion style, the spiccato string riff, and even the melody. Now, I understand that sometimes composers are asked to mimic a certain style, but what I heard was much too similar for me to feel comfortable with. Anyone esle noticed this?

Re: Gustaf Grefberg ripping off Harry Gregson Williams in Chronicles of Riddick score.

Nope... only heard a few tracks that I found quite good. But I dont know MGS2 so

Anyway - spicatto rips in action cues are now classic. Ofcourse if the melody is the same its iffy

But hey - listen to Bill Browns Rainbow6 score. Hes one of the big men in the game music industry, and his rainbow 6 score is right out of The Rock

Re: Gustaf Grefberg ripping off Harry Gregson Williams in Chronicles of Riddick score

Yeah, I guess spicatto riffs combined with ethno-centric percussion and synth bleeps are the "in" style now. It doesn't make it any more appealing when you are playing a game that feels nothing like another game, yet, the music throws you into the feel of another game. The action cue was completely wrong for the moody feel of the Riddick game too--it was a bad judgement call.

Re: Gustaf Grefberg ripping off Harry Gregson Williams in Chronicles of Riddick score.

K... well... I haven't played either of them. Only heard the COR music.

Personaly i'm scoring a game atm where I have been asked to do a orchestral/electronic/ethnic thing. So I'm sure that will sound similar as well

It's funny... I don't know if I've heard MGS2 either, but I stopped dead in my tracks at hearing the COR Action Mix because I thought I'd heard it before. I remember saying to a couple of friends, "where is this from?" But I never came up with it. So, eventually I became convinced that it was just a cliché but not lifted and that I just imagined that it was note-for-note familiar. And this remains my position, but it's funny that this particular piece should be raised here.

Re: Gustaf Grefberg ripping off Harry Gregson Williams in Chronicles of Riddick score

Someone needs to post samples of both cues to show their overlap - I'm quite curious.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...V3DI1GA6UUQQOL

That's the link to the action cue from the Riddick game. He made several other action cues that sounded almost identical, without much variations in them at all. That was another blow to my impression of his work on Riddick.

I'm pretty familiar with MGS2 (have listened to the soundtrack many times). And while this cue from Riddick IS very similar in style to MGS2, there isn't any specific cue that sounds identical - or really even close melodically speaking.

Yes - there is some SERIOUS stylistic overlap. But as indicated above, this is a very popular style right now - and one that Gregson-Williams excels at - but I wouldn't say it is a blatant rip off.

Just my .02

This kinda leads to another question, and that is, "Which is the greater crime--actually ripping off a melody, but doing it with a totally different style, or ripping off a style so closely that it's mistaken for another composer's work, but not actually copying it note for note"?

Isn't the old saying something like "Amateurs 'imitate', professionals 'steal'?"

Go Back to forum