• Register
  • Help

Topic: Loops not correct in kontakt player?

Share/Bookmark

Loops not correct in kontakt player?

....found recently sth out .....and that after over one year of usage of the kontakt player. it only bothers if you play longer tones.

it seems as if the kontakt player does not play some loops correct or even does not play them at all. the strange thing is that with the kontakt full version this does not happen. only with the kontakt player version.

1. play an A3 with "violins lush mutes", hold the tone for about 3 seconds and the fellowing will happen:

http://home.arcor.de/captor/1.violins%20lush.mp3

use a headphone...with the monitors you might overhear it
    very annoying if you have some clicks in your mix and don't know where they come from. it took me a long time to spot the reason in my latest tune.

2. play the same tone with the cellos and the loop will even been cut off:

http://home.arcor.de/captor/cellos%20lush.mp3

these are just some examples....this behaviour is in various instruments but not in all regions. as already said...kontakt full does not show this behaviour. But I would like to use the kontakt player because it's more comfortable to use. is there a chance that this will be fixed? anyone else came across this strange behaviour?

thanks for all hints.

Re: Loops not correct in kontakt player?

GigaLove,

Do you have the latest GPO Kontakt Player version 1.1.0.04? It's available here - http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html
    This latest update addressed some of this. Also, try adjusting the polyphony on the player and see if this still happens.

Gary Garritan

yes, i have the latest version of the kontakt player.

no, it has nothing to do with the polyphony.

can you reproduce that behaviour?

thanks

Gigalove,

Take the cellos first: Are you using the Kontakt player in DFD streaming mode, perhaps? Sometimes loops are not read properly in streaming mode. I just tested it on my machine and when loaded into RAM (as it's actually designed to be used) the cello loop plays back correctly without interruption. Try turning off streaming and see if that fixes the problem on your machine. When people were first asking for the addition of streaming I argued against it for several reasons, one being the less reliable performance on loops. Other reasons included the inability of the player to read any loop crossfades applied in the player when in streaming mode (which work properly in RAM) and the significantly lower polyphony performance compared to RAM. I posted my opinions at that time. Streaming was nevertheless offered as an un-recommended option. I have no workarounds other than using the library in RAM instead of streaming.

For the lush violins, I wonder if you could do me a favor and open up your mp3 file in a wave editor and give me the exact location of the anomaly, as timed from the beginning of the file? I know you think it is very obvious but on my system I have been able to find only one thing that you might be calling a "click," and it is not a loop problem when I examine the wave file being used. The anomaly is not located at the loop point. This particular candidate for your complaint is, in fact, an odd, but natural, intonational "beating" effect between instruments as recorded in the original session. It is not exactly a "click" but it is a relatively brief phenomenon that could, I suppose, be interpreted as such. Even examining the wave closely shows no spikes to indicate waveform problems. This "beating" effect occurred rather frequently in the original sessions for all groups of players but is more often audible in the higher strings than the lower ones. That's assuming I'm looking at the right thing here, which is why I'd like you to confirm the exact location of the problem if you can.

Thanks,

Tom

hello mr. hopkins,

thanks for stopping by.

here more details:

1. the click on the violins mp3 is heard between sec 1 and sec 2.

2. the fellowing tones of the violins click: F#3-A3, E3, C3, C#3

I've tried it now without disk streaming and indeed then the problems did not occur.

-but why does it only happen on the listed tones and not on the others (in fact there might be more, didn't check now the whole library) seems as the loop crossfading is only not working in that regions.
    -why does it not happen with kontakt full...which has disk streaming activated?
    - why does kontakt full not read propperly the release settings...there is always a longer adsrelease...

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove
    -but why does it only happen on the listed tones and not on the others (in fact there might be more, didn't check now the whole library) seems as the loop crossfading is only not working in that regions.
    -why does it not happen with kontakt full...which has disk streaming activated?
    - why does kontakt full not read propperly the release settings...there is always a longer adsrelease...
    The first two questions get the best answer I can give: Your guess is as good as mine. Only the good folk of NI are privy to the subtle differences under the hood between two products that, feature for feature, use the same engine. I offer the only solution known to me: Use GPO in RAM when you use the player. That's how it was designed to be used and that's how it was tested. Streaming was an option later provided at users' requests and provided with a disclaimer and a group of caveats.

The third question is an easy one. I've tried to post the answer whenever the subject of using GPO in the full version of Kontakt has come up. The GPO instruments are designed to work in the player. The GPO player differs from the full Kontakt in that each instrument in the library has a corresponding text file that supplies default settings for cc20 through cc24. "Length" control is cc21 and is given a default setting of .5 for most instruments (a value of 64). This setting allows users to both shorten and lengthen the release/decay for an instrument. The full version of Kontakt does not have the ability to read the text files; only the player can do that. This means that most instruments loaded into the full version of Kontakt must have data actually placed at the beginning of the track (cc21, value64) for the instruments to playback with the releases/decays identical to the default in the player. It's an extremely valuable feature that carries a convenience penalty for those users who wish to use the full version of Kontakt.

Tom

Go Back to forum