• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: In Re: the Talent on NS

Share/Bookmark

In Re: the Talent on NS

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharmy
    After following the events of the last few days I would like to add a perspective.

NS has allowed me to meet and become friends with people from all over the world. Not just on the forum but actually hanging out with many of you. I feel my life is improved because of the information and relationships i have forged here. I have also picked up numerous side jobs from many of these relationships. Not what i set out to do but i am grateful for it nethertheless.

The recent occurences here are consistent with the policies I believe the moderators have had in place, and for a while these policies seemed to work. After looking over the past 2 years and seeing who was banned and who just stopped posting, i have come to the following conclusion. The voids left by those who were banned from a purely artistic nature have not been filled. There was a higher level of musical postings in general a few years back though libs continue to improve. This level brought interest to NS not only from hobbyists but busy profesionals. I would call over to a busy production house on a daily basis and we would talk about the amazing new mockup by TJ,Aaron, Marsdy, Simon etc...this no longer happens. The talent pool was further diluted this last week. I truely believe that musical talent has a strong influence of how well a music forum does.

The loss of EW has to be a major hit, they are the biggest developer in the world. Business is business and I don't know or want to know the inner workings of the breakup. One thing is for sure though, by not allowing EW to have a presence here (that would simply mean being allowed to post) this forum cannot be a place where profesional or hobbyists come to really get the news of what is going on. I understand there may legal issues now between both parties that will not even allow for posting...that is too bad for all NSers who really lose out.

The buzz created here by past members, and having all developers active is gone. Maybe there will be a new wave of products and composers to pick up the slack but in the last 2 years no amazing new talents have come through here (sorry if I have offended anyone). With talent comes the buzz. With buzz comes activity and interest. i don't know what the answer is at this point, but a rethinking of policies might be in order.

Craig Sharmat
    I respectfully disagree with your statement that "in the last 2 years no amazing new talents have come through here". Nothing can be further from the truth.

There has been an enormous influx of amazing talent coming through Northern Sounds in recent times and he talent pool has been expanding and growing. Perhaps you have not noticed but professionals like Hummie Mann and Jeff Beal (both Emmy Award winners), Andy Brick, BrianM (Tom Jones' band leader), SteveG(Grammy Award winner), distinguished faculty and university faculty, musical theatre directors, executives from music technology companies, performers, veteran musicians, programmers, game music composers, orchestrators, conductors, and many professionals actively participating in the NS forum. You would not believe the well-known people who lurk here as well. In the past couple of years we have seen incredible new talent, to name a few:Francesco Marchetti, David Maddux, Dan Powers, Darwin Kopp, Jamie Kowalski, Danielle Davis, the Reeves Brothers, and many more (to numerous to list) who are incredibly gifted.

There's been definite buzz on the GPO forum (over 9200 posts in the Demo Section alone). The GPO Competition attracted a great deal of new talent and most of the 200 entrants are NS members. The winners Richard Birdsall did a remarkable job (and he's was 18 years old) and Ken-P and Craig Reeves are also young and represent a new generation of incredible talent. The judges, who included some very respectable pros, were all amazed by the quality and plethora of talent. 2 NS members just won the ERM Competition, and other members have won other competitions. There are more sample developers here than at any other time as well.

And yes, there are newbies too from all walks of life who come to Northern Sounds and they are encouraged. The true professional offers help to these aspiring people to be better musicians. And they get better. The real professional does not paint everyone with a broad elitist brush and disregard their talent.

And the comment about the "voids left by those who were banned from a purely artistic nature have not been filled" is untrue.

The void has more than been filled hundreds of times times over. As far as the people who were banned (for inappropriate behavior or breaking the rules or whatever - that's between the administrators and them), the total number of the banned in the entire history of NS is replaced by more new members in one typical day. And the new members are very talented, vibrant and have a lot to offer.

With professionalism comes responsibility to avoid the tendency towards musical elitism and to help those getting started. Saying that there is no new talent to the thousands of people who have come to Northern Sounds in the past two years seems not only puzzling but is simply inaccurate. History is repleat with folks who failed to recognize talent. Emperor Joseph II failed to recognize talent when he exclaimed 'Too many notes, my dear Mozart'. So did Decca Recording rejecting the Beatles in 1962. If you reject the talent of the many thousands of people here you have put yourself in a very lofty and elitist position that could lead to the ultimate vanity and an eventual fall.

I realize you are a moderator at another sample forum, but to come to this forum and diminish the talent is strange. I've gotten to know you over the years Craig and admired your contributions and your work with EIS, but this latest post seems out of character and presumptuous.

The talent pool at Northern Sounds has never been greater and it is a privilege to be among such amazingly creative, talented and gifted people.

Gary Garritan

Re: In Re: the Talent on NS

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    I respectfully disagree with your statement that "in the last 2 years no amazing new talents have come through here". Nothing can be further from the truth.
    Hi Gary,

The statement you are challenging is not the main point of Sharmy's message as I read it. In a sense, it seems you are both saying the same thing - its important to welcome other musicians whether they be new or pros and regardless of the tools they use. This is what made NS a great place before and what would continue to make it valuable resource for all.

I know Sharmy is one of the pros that has gone out of his way to extend his hand to helping others. His concern is shared by many others who would also like to see NS continue to be one of the central meeting spots for newbies and pros alike.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy543
    Hi Gary,

This is what made NS a great place before and what would continue to make it valuable resource for all.
    This is the big misconception some of you keep harping on.
    Tell a lie long enough and you start to believe it. I can see how you try to slip it in at every opportunity. Your assumptions are so off It's become laughable. But I don't blame you as you cannot see what we see on our end. It's still a great place to visit. Some of the very people you speak of still visit this place. They may not want to admit it but it's true. If its not such a great place now why do some still try or want to be reinstated, Why do/did some try the alternative route of using an alias.
    Common sense says if I surf to a site I find not so great or repulsive it's gone out of my system never to be seen again. It only takes a couple of mouse clicks.

Stop the fighting (((( )))) we welcome you to this virtual pub, learning center, community, sample hub enjoy this site for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PaPa Chalk
    This is the big misconception some of you keep harping on.
    Tell a lie long enough and you start to believe it. I can see how you try to slip it in at every opportunity. Your assumptions are so off It's become laughable. But I don't blame you as you cannot see what we see on our end.
    Hi Mark,

You are correct. It's true, I cannot see what is on your end if you don't wish to present it. If you're suggesting a "faith-based community" where I'm supposed to assume facts based on "blind faith" that seems a bit of a stretch. Who then do I believe? I can only form opinions based on what I actually do see.

It's still a great place to visit. Some of the very people you speak of still visit this place.
    Of course it is! I think thats why people make comments about their concerns. They want to see NS continue to be a great place.

They may not want to admit it but it's true. If its not such a great place now why do some still try or want to be reinstated, Why do/did some try the alternative route of using an alias.
    Common sense says if I surf to a site I find not so great or repulsive it's gone out of my system never to be seen again. It only takes a couple of mouse clicks.
    Stop the fighting (((( )))) we welcome you to this virtual pub, learning center, community, sample hub
    enjoy this site for what it is.
    Thank you for your welcome Mark. I enjoy many of the people I have met here and continue to meet. And I enjoy roaming and learning from the forums.

I can't speak for Sharmy but I was just expressing my opinion (OK to do here?) or my "interpretation of his comments". I don't think he was "fighting" but sharing a sincere concern - a concern I have heard many others express as well. Maybe everyone else is wrong or its because of something "hidden" that they can't see. Or maybe I'm wrong - but these are just opinions, not condemnations. It doesn't mean they are fighting or don't like NSS - its really quite the opposite.

Your correct not to speak for sharmy. I spoke to him by phone today.

The fighting I speak of is directed towards you. It seems you always have an antagonistic view with any posts towards us. We know where it's all coming from. Have fun as your fixation on us is really starting to bore me.

If you can't can't deal with it use your mouse button and feel free to excuse yourself from here .

The fighting I speak of is directed towards you. It seems you always have an antagonistic view with any posts towards us. We know where it's all coming from.
    Hi Mark,

I thought my post was both sincere and quite clear. But something seems to be bothering you. I don't understand. Could you kindly explain?

What do you mean "We know where it's all coming from"?

I don't have any hidden adgendas so I'm puzzled about what you're referring to.

your Joking right

your Joking right
    Actually no. I'm being sincere with you Mark.

If you don't care to explain that's fine, why don't you just say so?

Quote Originally Posted by synergy543
    Actually no. I'm being sincere with you Mark.

If you don't care to explain that's fine, why don't you just say so?
    I've I ready said that many times already including that it's getting me bored.
    Your not saying anything different than you did 6mnths ago. back then it was some other issue with another developer. Which by the way everyone can now see that what we did and the way we dealt with it was right at that time.
    Sorry but I’m not going to waist anymore bandwidth on this if you don't like it here or are just here to get kicks move on your boring me just the same thing on another day.

Papa, you puzzle me. I wasn't talking about a developer (that's in your head). We were talking about Sharmy's post. I was replying to Garritan's comment with another perspective.

You are the one responding to my post engaging me and then saying you're bored. If you explained yourself clearly I'll be glad to answer you and you needn't get so frustrated.

Well, have a good night and take it easy.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast