• Register
  • Help

Topic: Books on Orchestration

Share/Bookmark

Books on Orchestration

hello everyone

just wanted to know if there are any good books to learn some good orchestration techniques? ta

i've done a piece in college for The Usual Suspects opening credits email me and i'll send it to you, but i need to Learn, learn, learn to get myself to a better standard any tips? email is ikebrown80@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Books on Orchestration

On the GPO Forum, there was a review on orchestration texts by Terry Dwyer.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33676

Andy Brick also did a post about Orchestration books on tthe GPO forum:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33710

Soon we will be offering an entire orchestration program online for NS members.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    On the GPO Forum, there was a review on orchestration texts by Terry Dwyer.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33676
    I have to disagree with the review. I've read most of the other books that were reviewed and Samuel Adler's The Study Of Orchestration was like a breath of fresh air after the others. I would recommend the Adler's book for anyone having basic knowledge in music theory. It's expensive but worth every penny. Type "Adler" in the Search here and you'll find plenty of information about it and about other orchestration books. The Gilreath's MIDI Orchestration is also good but not as comprehensive in the orchestration part.

I agree. Go Sam Adler!! Awesome text. I keep it at arms' reach.

Belbin

I have the revised Principles of Orchestration from Peter Alexander (www.alexuniv.com) - he's got alot of interesting music books, not only for orchestration, but harmony and counterpoint too.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

I also seem to recall a while back that Scott Rogers mentioned in the SOL forum that he's working on a book titled "Mastery of Orchestration".

Quote Originally Posted by skeller
    I also seem to recall a while back that Scott Rogers mentioned in the SOL forum that he's working on a book titled "Mastery of Orchestration".
    These books are all well and good but there needs to be the following, end of story (grump grump)...

One FULL orchestration that we all know...."Indian Jones" (example) and then a midi file mock ups using all various known sample libraries, until samples can be played via notation, with automatic bank switching, I think it's the best way to go, or something really close anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by skeller
    It's in three volumes but the publisher wants me to cut it down to just one big fat one. This would require a slightly smaller font than I am comfortable with, and lots of snipping would be required, which rather defeats the purpose of my having written it in the first place.

They also want to use traditional binding, while I would greatly prefer twin-coil binding so it can be laid out flat and read hands free. (Twin coil binding doesn't sit well or stack well on book shelves, so this is the main objection to it.) I'm also wanting a larger paper size than 7x9 because of the considerable amount of score reductions, especially in the third volume.

This is the third publisher in a row that won't go multi-volume or twin coil, (though one is willing to go "large" paper), so if I can't find someone to do it the way I want, I'll likely just self-publish and setup a dedicated site for it. Whichever way it goes, I'll let you know.

Cheers.

The Adler book is great because of all the listening examples. I would also highly recommend the Blatter Book (although a bit $$$ for a paperback).

Peace

rp

Go Back to forum