• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dedicated Giga PC (Taking the plunge)

Share/Bookmark

Dedicated Giga PC (Taking the plunge)

Well try as I might, I finally give up on trying to run Gigasampler and Cakewalk on one PC. I think it is about time to think about a second PC to run Gigasampler. I figure that after I sequence all of my projects with Giga in PC #1.I can digitally transfer them as waves into Cakewalk in PC #2 and process them there or even transfer them to Wavelab 3.0 and process them there. My question is,how is the Giga PC linked to the second PC? Should Cakewalk be loaded on both machines and only used to control the sequences on the Giga PC and loaded on PC#2 but only tracking the waves or is there a way to link the two PC\'s together and have one installation of Cakewalk controlling both PC\'s. If the two Pc\'s are linked together, how is this done? This may be a dumb question to some but I have never traveled down this road and won\'t know unless I ask. I figure I\'ll get myself another ABIT BE6, maybe a Celeron 600. Overclock to about 850. Get myself 128 megs of ram minimum, etc. This should be enough just for sequencing Gigasampler to about 24 tracks PC #1. I already have a smoking PC to process my audio tracks once I am done with sequencing. I really would appreciate some advice on the right way to set this system up. Peace.

Re: Dedicated Giga PC (Taking the plunge)

It’s easier to visualize if you think of the GSt PC as just another sound module in your rack (a Proteus 2 on steroids). You need to control it with MIDI, and record the audio output back on you PC.

Each PC needs corresponding MIDI ports.
    Each PC needs corresponding audio interfaces, preferably digital.
    Make you life easier and connect the PCs with Ethernet.

So in other words using Ethernet is like linking the two computers together so that Cakewalk loaded on PC#1 can control the Giga computer as if it were a sound module. This is exactly what I want. How much for ethernet? Is it some sort of cable? Who makes a good one? How much hardware is involved? Thanks for the reply. Peace.

No… MIDI does the controlling. Route the MIDI out from the system with your sequencer to the MIDI in on the GSt system.

Ethernet is for sharing files, printers and the like. Staples carries a PCI Ethernet card made by Linksys that works well and is under $50. You’ll need one for each system. If you get a ‘crossover cable’, as opposed to a standard patch cable, you won’t need a network Hub.

Well it is official, I am going Giga Dedicated. I am having another PC built and hope that this works. I only need maybe 30 voices at the most so i feel that an AMD 500MHZ k6 can handle that. I am going with 128megs of ram and two hard drives (Maxtor Diamondmax Plus, 20gig and Fujitsu UDMA 66 for programs. I have a Yamaha Soundcrown PCI card with digital out. I only want to use Gigasmpler to provide some good voices for sequencing and then digitally transfer the waves to Cakewalk and Wavelab in my main computer for processing and finalizing.
    My question is, how do I configure these two pc\'s? I undetstand that I need something called a T100 ethernet card for both pc\'s connected by some sort of network cable. Where do I put my programs. Will this networking allow my giga dedicated computer to recognize my programs installed on my main computer. On my giga dedicated system, I know that I\'ll need an operating system. How do I load gigasampler onto this computer without a sequencer being loaded onto it. Or do I have to have a sequening program loaded onto both pc\'s? Do I need two monitors, two keyboards, two mouses, etc. Hellllpppppp! Peace.

I got my gigastudio system to work very well after much tinkering. Here are the basics of my system:

CPU: Pentium III 550MHz overclocked to 580
    RAM: 512 Mb
    Hard drive 1: 6.8 Gb 5400 rpm
    Hard drive 2: 18 Gb 7200 rpm ATA66
    Soundcard: Gina
    Midi card: ISA 2X2
    Gigastudio 2 version 25

I do not use the same computer that runs gigastudio for my sequencer. It is not possible to get serious system performance with both gigastudio and a full sequencer running on the same computer. This is especially true when gigastudio is also running effects. For sequencing, I use a Mac running MOTU Performer. The Mac feeds a MOTU MIDI Express XT that drives several other keyboards, synth modules, and the gigastudio computer. I feed an external 44.4 kHz pilot into the Gina S/PDIF input. It is more reliable than the built-in one.

I recently made several changes to my system that made a significant improvement in overall performance including eliminating clicks and pops and increasing polyphony.

(1) I replaced a 450 MHz PIII with a 550 and overclocked it a little. I saw only a slight overall improvement. I would like to go to 800 MHz.

(2) I replaced an SIIG ATA/66 controller card with a Promise ATA/66 controller card. My second HD is connected to this controller card. This change raised the polyphony from 104 to 122. It also reduced the pops, clicks, and strange sounds. The file load time went down as well. The Promise card uses a different chip set than the SIIG.

(3) I was using a MIDIsport USB 2X2 MIDI interface. I replaced that with a plain MIDI ISA board, which has 2-in/2-out connections. (I had one ISA slot.) I also removed or disabled all USB drivers and other USB-related software. The polyphony went to 144 and there appears to be no extraneous sounds or clicks generated anymore. I also think that keyboard latency has decreased. I have concluded that data throughput on the PCI bus is adversely affected by collisions and timing problems introduced by USB.

(4) I made sure that I was using the latest drivers for Gina, Promise card, MIDI card, etc.

I hope this information will be useful to you.

>> I only need maybe 30 voices at the most …

Why bother with a second PC for only 30 voices!

Well Bill,
    The problem isn\'t wih Gigasampler, it is with the problems of having too much junk in one PC: Three hard disks (one for operating system and programs, one for Cakewalk audio files, one for Giga). I want to be able to run some effects and process my projects. I don\'t want to have so many dropouts. I don\'t have thousands of bucks for Pulsar and mixtreme costs just as much when you buy all the extra junk that you need to make it fully operational. I figured that I could offload some of the extras in my main PC into a Giga dedicated system thus freeing up some limited resources to process Plug ins. Does that make sense. Peace

Go Back to forum