• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: My music for a game... tell me really what You think of it ?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation My music for a game... tell me really what You think of it ?

HI People,

I made music for a title "Gun Warrior", that game turned out to be a crap (total disaster because of lack of a gameplay)... One review showed up in the local polish magazine and they sais: "music is based on silly themes and in overall it is crap"...

Please have a listen and tell me: "Was it a subjective feeling of the one who reviewed it and don't like the themes, or it is REALLY that bad in terms of technical sense of writing"...

Main Theme (Menu)

The Fall City (Level 1)

Train to San Lonito (Level 2)

San Lonito (level 3)

I was also producing Music for the videos... and the Sound Effects too.
    Have a watch:

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

It was my first attempt on orchestral music with sample libs....
    TELL ME WHAT YOU PEOPLE THINK - SHOW NO MERCY

Re: My music for a game... tell me really what You think of it ?

The reason why he said that is that the music has no depth. You have pretty decent and active melody lines but the supporting lines are so uninteresting that they have no support. So it makes your music sound one dimensional.

Also, I don't know what you use as samples but the sounds also sound a little less than pro. Please don't post what you use. I don't want to hear it from the developers.

Look into improving your bass line writing and your accompaniment writing to go along better with your melody. At any given point it sounds like the melody and the supporting lines are coming from different pieces style wise. If you have fast moving sixteenth notes on top and tied whole notes as accompaniment it just sounds too different for the ear to process that as belonging together.

imo

Cheers,

Jose

Red face Re: My music for a game... tell me really what You think of it ?

Thanks Jose,

I didn't think that it's not good to write 16th and 4th together a bad thing...

Thank You for honest opinion....

Ok People... who's next ?

Quote Originally Posted by lukpcn
    I didn't think that it's not good to write 16th and 4th together a bad thing...

Thank You for honest opinion....

Ok People... who's next ?
    I was just making a point that the supporting lines didn't integrate that well with the melody. Don't think that there are any rules against 16th notes against sustains.

Jose

The midi sequencing needs an incredible amount of help. You are using decent samples, but man... learn to polish sometime - it'll serve you well. The composition is functional, though I agree with Jose - the accompaniment could use a bit of pizazz.

Sorry to hear the game didn't go well. I'm sure that's a bummer after all that work!

Red face Re: My music for a game... tell me really what You think of it ?

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    The midi sequencing needs an incredible amount of help. You are using decent samples, but man... learn to polish sometime - it'll serve you well. The composition is functional, though I agree with Jose - the accompaniment could use a bit of pizazz.
    What do You mean, maybe You can tell me some more ?

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    Sorry to hear the game didn't go well. I'm sure that's a bummer after all that work!
    Don't tell me, I thought that my music would be at least good or maybe enough.... but not a crap it hurts after so many nights of work

that happened to me once long ago 'er two years ago I think. I composed the music and the game disappeared! (I can't spell at all tonight) I mean not only did the game disappear the people disappeared like they were taken away, first the art guy just quit, then they couldn't get someone to fill, then others quit, then the game couldn't find a publisher and , so...they shoved it away. and the people dispersed and that was the end of that... damn I really can't spell.....

As for the music start with the glue of the music, go bass and percussion get those to glue together they are what supports everything really, then kick on your melody and harony, or go melody and then harmony, then bass and rhythm ...Good Luck!
    Even in your mixes you could start with getting the bass and percussive or Rhythm elements to glue together better then go from there.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Since this is video game music, you really gotta hear it with the video game to judge it in fullnes. I personally dislike banjo a lot ( which takes some points off , but that's only a personal thing so no worries ) -> I can imagine it working very well with the hero since he is a gunman and you chose very well.

Still, listening to it on it's own, i think it's very ok and there's not much bad things about it : The sound could be a bit fuller like others said with more bass lines and chord changes perhaps . Especially the basslines man... for example the last song of the four : It could have some really heavy marcattos playing a bit faster on the basses to fill up the sound or maybe just Octave string sustains, you know, especially at the part where the percussions play almost solo it sounds quit empty. Just add more bass sounds and the whole soundtrack will upgrade by itself !!! All the melodies are there but there is no strong backbone . Nice work on the percussions btw -> seems like it took a while to write them.

Apart from the partial sound "emptiness" it seems like a lot of work went into it! The strings are cool and have very interesting textures for a suspense type of cue. My fav was the last song... but still it needs more bass lines ( i'm gonna say that again, i am sure )

Quote Originally Posted by lukpcn
    Don't tell me, I thought that my music would be at least good or maybe enough.... but not a crap it hurts after so many nights of work
    Don't let what a silly paper wrote get to you Lucasz. This music is cool and as time goes by , you by yourself will see what is wrong with it or, what is not wrong... if you like it at the moment and you honestly think it's good, that is all that matters, what you think man.

And who knows what really happened behind the review.. maybe the reviewers wife didn't give him honey last night you know ? So many things can make a person talk out of the teeth and not even bother mentioning the good things in a composition or anything else... it's so easy to say "this is crap" .

In any case, never let comments get to you that way , try to out-do them and make a comeback with something that will shut their mouths up instead . But on the other hand, i think you shouldn't try too hard on that either because it's not really worth shutting up such mouths .

You love music, i am sure on that, that's all that matters ... all the rest comes along the journey and it will come well.

PS : Oh , i almost forgot : Don't forget the basses man !
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Yeah I know this music lacks of very inportant things... it was my first orchestral work using sample libs...
    Tried my best... but... now I would do it better I think...

I was also producing Music for the videos... and the Sound Effects too.
    Have a watch:

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

From my personal point of view I have to say that I like it. The only negative points which attracted my attention were the sound of the "distant" strings and the guitar, which didn't fit right into the picture.

But: As I stated before ... it's definately not bad!
    I like it!

All the best,
    Hans-Peter

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast