• Register
  • Help

Topic: Interfacing 2 computers with Giga

Share/Bookmark

Interfacing 2 computers with Giga

If giga is used on a dedicated computer, what midi interface should be considered to connect the 2 computers? EJ

Re: Interfacing 2 computers with Giga

Gigastudio supports 4 midi ports (4x16 channels), so if you want access to more than 16 sounds without patch changes, you\'ll need a multi port midi interface.

There is a wide range of opinion about the protocol to use.

I\'m using an eMagic Unitor II, on USB. I got it because of the Active Midi Transmission. Basically I think it lines up the midi notes a lot better than other interfaces. On the other hand, I\'ve noticed some latency and have been told to get the Unitor off the USB and use the serial option - even though eMagic say USB works better.

RME have a tech note on their website which says that a combination of:
    1.lowest latency hardware settings,
    2. High density midi traffic and
    3. Any USB connections
    causes noticeable artifacts in audio tracks. This is down to the USB protocol requiring access to the CPU once per millisecond (according toRME)

Their recommendation is to NOT use USB.

Find it at http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/lola/usbkills.htm

A PCI bus based interface is another option, but most people suggest keeping as little on the PCI bus as possible.

If you\'re not trying to maximise polyphony and minimise lag these measures may not be as critical.

Thanks for the reply.. I had also heard that usb might be a dicey choice, especially with the Roland ones. Do you know of any other interfaces that might be acceptable? EJ

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Earl Macey:
    Thanks for the reply.. I had also heard that usb might be a dicey choice, especially with the Roland ones. Do you know of any other interfaces that might be acceptable? EJ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just removed my midisport USB and all USB drivers. Replaced with 2X2 in a ISA slot. My Gigastudio poly went from 104 to 142. USB introduces overhead on PCI access; the delays cause giga a problem.

Go Back to forum