• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt 2 Steinway Grand Piano update

Kontakt 2 Steinway Grand Piano update

The free PMI Steinway Grand piano that comes with the Kontakt 2 installation DVD's has an update available on our website. You can download it here.

Several features are added and changes were made to ensure better performance on all systems:
    - Self-Mask script is enabled to avoid high polyphony when repeated notes and chords are played.
    - A filter has been removed that was previously enabled to cut off some high's, but that also used too much CPU.
    - The convolution effect has been re-designed to work differently; now a send is used that goes active only when the sustain pedal is down. This avoids the effect that all data goes over the convolution engine all the time. You only use the CPU for convolution computing when you need it, CONSERVING cpu cycles.
    - The resonance IR time has been reduced to .60, making the whole convolution process much lighter CPU-wise.
    - The dynamic response is improved by using a new system to set the lowest velocity ranges.
    - The "muddy" attack on the softest notes are now gone, this was a result from the previous convolution programming.
    - The flex envelope that was enabled to emulate more sustain is removed, resulting in a more natural overall attack, sustain and release behavior and making the piano less CPU intensive.
    - The original version on the installation DVD was created with Kontakt 1.9x not K2. Some small issues with incompatible parameters have been resolved.
    - There are now 2 new nki's. This way you can add the piano to an existing multi without losing all other instrument settings as with the previous multi.
    - The new nki's are: Steinway D New Convolution. (this one has all the new convolution programming and a self-mask script) and Steinway D SympRes by Olivier Frappier. (This one uses no convolution but has the full harmonics generated by the Sympathetic Resonance script that Olivier Frappier wrote).
    - Additionally you can download another great script from http://music.mezo.com/ that was written by Kronel Mezo, that has similar and even more features for Sympathetic Resonance that can completely replace the resonance from sustain pedal down samples and convolution emulation!

The Steinway D is so small (500 MB) you can also load it as SAMPLE instead of DFD instrument, making it almost unlimited in polyphony!

enjoy and remember that the Old Lady brings you 10 velocity layers for both pedal up and pedal down instead of the 3 layers for pedal up that are in this free version. The Old Lady is available for $145 on our website www.postpiano.com!
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Re: Kontakt 2 Steinway Grand Piano update

Hi Michiel,

Did you use the latest update for Self Mask (version 2.0)?

hi Xavier,
    Not sure what I used, I think the one that comes on the NI installation DVD.
    It can easily be replaced though, the script is "open".

I love those ninja´s...
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Thanks Michiel..looking forward to tryng it out.. Rich

my pleasure, and let me know how it works out for you. We have reports from people who prefer this free piano above the Ivory stuff
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

The old lady is a pleasure to play. I will try within several hours this update.

Olivier F.

between this place and that place

Man the ninjas are so cool!

wow free update Thanks Sounds great with that Script!!!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Michiel, how do you apply the udates? I put them in the K2 samples folder where all of the Steinway pianos are but I can't load them.

what exactly do you do with update to get it to work?

...you download the zip file, expand it to the folder where the Steinway instrument files (nki) reside on your hard drive and refresh the browser in K2. Now you can load these nki´s as usual and (if you want) delete the original nki´s.
    They were made with the most current K2 updated software but that should not be a problem, if Kontakt encounters a nki file from a previous software version is says so.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Thumbs up Re: Kontakt 2 Steinway Grand Piano update

This is very good news as I bought NI K2 mainly for two reasons:
    - I had CPU problems with my previous soft sampler, which I had no longer using the same libs with the NI K1.5 demo.
    - Old Lady "light" (which is for me the most appealing product of PMI) was included in the package.
    Upon receiving K2, I was really pleased to discover such a great piano sound from only 506 MB, but rather disappointed to be faced with the same CPU overload I had previously.
    The analysis was rather clear (see my post on the NI Kontakt2 forum about pedal off) that the engine under certain circonstances (in fact, it was Chopin study #13) may be faced with up tu 120 samples to process simultaneously when you release the pedal.
    I was wondering about modifying release times or filtering I noticed in the program, and this is really great that you announce that update I will test as soon as possible.
    Congratulations for the great support, which makes me seriously considering to purchase Old Lady.

Go Back to forum