The free PMI Steinway Grand piano that comes with the Kontakt 2 installation DVD's has an update available on our website. You can download it here.
Several features are added and changes were made to ensure better performance on all systems:
- Self-Mask script is enabled to avoid high polyphony when repeated notes and chords are played.
- A filter has been removed that was previously enabled to cut off some high's, but that also used too much CPU.
- The convolution effect has been re-designed to work differently; now a send is used that goes active only when the sustain pedal is down. This avoids the effect that all data goes over the convolution engine all the time. You only use the CPU for convolution computing when you need it, CONSERVING cpu cycles.
- The resonance IR time has been reduced to .60, making the whole convolution process much lighter CPU-wise.
- The dynamic response is improved by using a new system to set the lowest velocity ranges.
- The "muddy" attack on the softest notes are now gone, this was a result from the previous convolution programming.
- The flex envelope that was enabled to emulate more sustain is removed, resulting in a more natural overall attack, sustain and release behavior and making the piano less CPU intensive.
- The original version on the installation DVD was created with Kontakt 1.9x not K2. Some small issues with incompatible parameters have been resolved.
- There are now 2 new nki's. This way you can add the piano to an existing multi without losing all other instrument settings as with the previous multi.
- The new nki's are: Steinway D New Convolution. (this one has all the new convolution programming and a self-mask script) and Steinway D SympRes by Olivier Frappier. (This one uses no convolution but has the full harmonics generated by the Sympathetic Resonance script that Olivier Frappier wrote).
- Additionally you can download another great script from http://music.mezo.com/ that was written by Kronel Mezo, that has similar and even more features for Sympathetic Resonance that can completely replace the resonance from sustain pedal down samples and convolution emulation!
The Steinway D is so small (500 MB) you can also load it as SAMPLE instead of DFD instrument, making it almost unlimited in polyphony!
enjoy and remember that the Old Lady brings you 10 velocity layers for both pedal up and pedal down instead of the 3 layers for pedal up that are in this free version. The Old Lady is available for $145 on our website www.postpiano.com!