• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Topic: Hello friends... sad topic to me... have a look

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Power Profile User lukpcn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    on the end of the bow...
    Posts
    1,326

    Red face Hello friends... sad topic to me... have a look

    here:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=34477

    Tell me there what You think....

  2. #2
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Thumbs up Re: Hello friends... sad topic to me... have a look

    Ehhhhh the reviewer has his ears in a toaster! Move forward and take people like that with a grain of salt (if you feel that generous). Several times I listened to all and although there is room for improvement, I heard some really nice CONTRAPUNTAL work in there! Nice work and don't take the review so hard! Use it to your advantage! The way I see it, someone screwed up and this all fell apart. Writers always blame the music! It's what they don't understand the most that they attack first!
    Two thumbs up!
    Styxx

  3. #3

    Re: Hello friends... sad topic to me... have a look

    Luk,

    As an author and columnist, I can tell you that if you're going to expose yourself to the public through your work, you need to be emotionally prepared for the fact that a certain amount of people are going to flame you just because it's human nature. When judging contests with multiple judges, it's common to throw out the highest score and the lowest score, and then average the rest. That's the spirit you need to take in heeding your reviews. Your friends will tell you that you're great, the less evolved humans will tell you that you suck, and reality will lie in the middle.

    Furthermore, it's only one review! You can't tell anything by one review. If you get 50 reviews and they all say you suck, well, work harder on the next product. However, I suspect that out of 50 reviews, you'll have a couple of crackpots who give you one star, and the rest will average out to a 3, 4, or 4.5 star rating (so to speak).

    Additionally, you just can't take this stuff to heart. When you put your music out there, people will say all sorts of things. Don't get wrapped up in it. I read my reviews and if someone makes a coherent point I take note, but when people flame me (it happens), I just shrug my shoulders and move on. You can't please everyone, and one of the joys of the Internet is that everyone can have their 15 minutes by tearing you down. Don't let it bother you. Spend your energies on your next work instead.

    Welcome to the public eye, dude...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  4. #4
    Power Profile User lukpcn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    on the end of the bow...
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: Hello friends... sad topic to me... have a look

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Luk,

    As an author and columnist, I can tell you that if you're going to expose yourself to the public through your work, you need to be emotionally prepared for the fact that a certain amount of people are going to flame you just because it's human nature. When judging contests with multiple judges, it's common to throw out the highest score and the lowest score, and then average the rest. That's the spirit you need to take in heeding your reviews. Your friends will tell you that you're great, the less evolved humans will tell you that you suck, and reality will lie in the middle.

    Furthermore, it's only one review! You can't tell anything by one review. If you get 50 reviews and they all say you suck, well, work harder on the next product. However, I suspect that out of 50 reviews, you'll have a couple of crackpots who give you one star, and the rest will average out to a 3, 4, or 4.5 star rating (so to speak).

    Additionally, you just can't take this stuff to heart. When you put your music out there, people will say all sorts of things. Don't get wrapped up in it. I read my reviews and if someone makes a coherent point I take note, but when people flame me (it happens), I just shrug my shoulders and move on. You can't please everyone, and one of the joys of the Internet is that everyone can have their 15 minutes by tearing you down. Don't let it bother you. Spend your energies on your next work instead.

    Welcome to the public eye, dude...
    thanks Christopher, I think that there will be no more reviews of this game becuase it is a total s*h*i*t because it completely lacks of gameplay.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Re: Hello friends... sad topic to me... have a look

    For example Lucpcn. My studio partner and long life best friend wrote a song that one person stated would never give a second listen to past the first two bars! Today, I found out about 15 minutes ago, he had made it to the top 5 in the Song Of The Year amateur songwriters contest. Two minutes ago he had called me on my cell to tell me a producer has called him directly to talk about it further! The person who said it wasn't worth two bars of his attention claimed it had no "hook". The song can be heard on our website, "I'll Get By". You see one person doesn't have total hold on what others may think of your music. You do wonderful work keep it growing!
    Styxx

  6. #6

    Re: Hello friends... sad topic to me... have a look

    Quote Originally Posted by lukpcn
    thanks Christopher, I think that there will be no more reviews of this game...
    It's also worth remembering that "charity begins at home". If you're to be a public figure (and like it or not, when you create something sold to the public that's what you become), you also need to consider your personal image, much of which can be controlled by you by how you present yourself. Maybe it's a great game, maybe it's a not so great game, but you'll want to avoid flaming others, as you now know that it doesn't feel so good to be on the receiving end of it yourself. Additionally, when you show disrespect to the works of others, it makes you look bad - even if you're right.

    Also, it's especially important to never publicly criticize people that you work for or on a project with. It limits future opportunities, as people will look at your comments and feel that you can't be counted on to promote and offer moral support to the team, thus they won't hire you. You want your image to be of a nice guy who's great to work with. That, more than your talent, is what will get you future gigs. There's lots of talented guys out there, but not so many great guys to work with. Be one of the latter, even when you don't feel like it on the inside. It's the first and most obvious mark of a true pro, and I think that's the direction you're headed in.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  7. #7

    Re: Hello friends... sad topic to me... have a look

    Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    For example Lucpcn. My studio partner and long life best friend wrote a song that one person stated would never give a second listen to past the first two bars! Today, I found out about 15 minutes ago, he had made it to the top 5 in the Song Of The Year amateur songwriters contest. Two minutes ago he had called me on my cell to tell me a producer has called him directly to talk about it further! The person who said it wasn't worth two bars of his attention claimed it had no "hook". The song can be heard on our website, "I'll Get By". You see one person doesn't have total hold on what others may think of your music. You do wonderful work keep it growing!
    I'll second that! Some time back, I'd heard that someone had insulted Styxx's songwriting talents as well. If you hear any of his work on the station, you'll immediately recognize that his songs are always a great listen. Fortunately, he didn't pay attention to the other guy and continues writing! No matter how good you are, there are people who will try to build themselves up by tearing you down. It's just human nature...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  8. #8
    Power Profile User lukpcn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    on the end of the bow...
    Posts
    1,326

    Thumbs up Re: Hello friends... sad topic to me... have a look

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    It's also worth remembering that "charity begins at home". If you're to be a public figure (and like it or not, when you create something sold to the public that's what you become), you also need to consider your personal image, much of which can be controlled by you by how you present yourself. Maybe it's a great game, maybe it's a not so great game, but you'll want to avoid flaming others, as you now know that it doesn't feel so good to be on the receiving end of it yourself. Additionally, when you show disrespect to the works of others, it makes you look bad - even if you're right.

    Also, it's especially important to never publicly criticize people that you work for or on a project with. It limits future opportunities, as people will look at your comments and feel that you can't be counted on to promote and offer moral support to the team, thus they won't hire you. You want your image to be of a nice guy who's great to work with. That, more than your talent, is what will get you future gigs. There's lots of talented guys out there, but not so many great guys to work with. Be one of the latter, even when you don't feel like it on the inside. It's the first and most obvious mark of a true pro, and I think that's the direction you're headed in.
    You're a very smart guy You know.... really

  9. #9
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Re: Hello friends... sad topic to me... have a look

    By the way, the song (I am proud to say) has Garritan Personal Orchestra Viola in it. Maybe that's why it made it into the top 5? (Don't tell Mark I said that )
    Styxx

  10. #10
    Power Profile User lukpcn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    on the end of the bow...
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: Hello friends... sad topic to me... have a look

    Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    By the way, the song (I am proud to say) has Garritan Personal Orchestra Viola in it. Maybe that's why it made it into the top 5? (Don't tell Mark I said that )

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •