• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI data editing

MIDI data editing

Can anyone recommend a good resource for or offer suggestions on MIDI data editing to improve the sounds that come included with Gigastudio 3 Orchestra, specifically the Vienna Giga Symphony disks?

Re: MIDI data editing

The main trick I've found is to stack the sustain mod wheel sounds with the staccato 1+2 sounds. You then give it more attack by playing forcefully, and give it more sustain with the mod-wheel.

The problem is that the sustains have too weak an attack for melodies, but the staccatos are too short for anything but short notes. Stacking gives the best of both worlds in a single patch.

I've had nice results with this for strings and brass.

Do you know if it is possible to send an instrument/bank change to stack instruments in a single channel.

For instance, if you have horn sustain and horn staccato stacked, and you want to change the instrument in that channel and port to trumpet... how would you assign two instruments to the same channel??? Thanks!

Yes. This is supported.

When you create a stacked instrument, it is listed along with the other loaded instruments. From memory, the first is in Bank 8192, Program 0, the next is Bank 8192, Program 1 and so on. You just call up the right bank and program number and you can grab either a single or stacked instrument.

There are two issues to be aware of...

1) I've found a gain problem when switching stacked instruments that include GigaPulse effects. When I switch, the volume goes up. I spoke with one of the Tascam engineers at NAB, and he told me that it's been found and fixed in the next version. (3.1) Hopefully, it will be released soon.

2) There is a problem with program changes in general for held notes. If you play and hold a note, then do a program change, the previous note(s) will be cut off in v3.04. This is better than 3.01 - 3.03. In those versions the note would continue to play - even after the Note Off command was sent.

This won't change in 3.1. It would be a fairly deep structural change. No word on if or when this will be addressed.

This is unfortunate, but it's not a showstopper - as long as you are aware of the limitation.

But note that stacked instruments will become much more powerful in 3.1. You will be able to define keyswitches within a stacked instrument. You will also be able to assign instruments to different keyboard ranges, so you can do splits. It's likely that program changes won't be necessary for many tasks. You can send various MIDI messages to enable subsets of the stacked instrument at different times.

No word on when 3.1 will be completed. They're playing it safe and really scrubbing the bugs. But it's a no cost upgrade, and should be very cool.

Thanks Jon.

Another question for you: Is it possible to send MIDI data to each individual component of a stacked instrument? (specifically, I would think it's important to adjust the relative volume and noteON velocity of each articulation). If the stacked instrument is assigned to a single bank/instrument, how would this work? Some of these new features in Gigastudio sound pretty nice.

Go Back to forum