• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Searching for a standalone Modwheel/USb Controller...

Share/Bookmark

Searching for a standalone Modwheel/USb Controller...

Hello everyone!

I haven't been posting here for a while because real life is taking its toll on me. But I guess only about 0,1 people in this forum even noticed my absence, hehe...

Now for my problem: After having spent countless hours on editing modwheel/expression/pedal data on about 80-120 Midi tracks per project with my mouse I have enough of it. Having developed intense pain in some finger joints of my left hand also deters from the fun (especially when you have a job where you depend on your hands)....

I already own a Technics PX103 Digital Piano, which I use for note entry. Additionally I am thinking about getting a kind of standalone modwheel or small USB Controller (Like for example M-Audio Ozone or M-Audio Oxygen). It should at least have a Modwheel, additional programmable sliders would be cool. I keep imagining how great it would be to be able to control some functions in Cubase SX2 through the controller sliders (like e.g. the Mixer sliders, or MIDI data). Oh, and of course it should be really, really cheap (My CD sales and income as musician are at a rock steady zero for 2 years now). I can't afford any huge investitions at this time.

Furthermore, I don't believe in the drivel these incompetent and arrogant $$§!$-people in most Austrian music stores tell their customers. My trust lies in the people in this forum. To make a long story short: Can you help me find the right product for me? Or point me to some website where I can learn more? Thanks a lot!
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Re: Searching for a standalone Modwheel/USb Controller...

Hey, now here's a coincidence! I was scanning through the past posts and came across your name and said to myself, SELF, I haven’t seen a post from musicpete in quite a while. And, here you are. Nice to see you back again.
    As for a standalone Modwheel / USB Controller, I guess it all boils down to what you can afford. Some new ones hit the market recently, Edirol / Roland PDR-M 30, 50, 80 and (correct me if I get this wrong guys) on promising controller new from China, CME UF7 I believe it's called? Help me out people I have Sean's brain dead syndrome this morning.
    However, M-Audio is a good choice as well.
    Hope I've given you some leads.
    Styxx

Wow, a reply! So you are the 0,1 people who remember me!

Thank you Styxx, you are very nice. I bet many women love to be comforted by you.

I looked at your suggestions, but I think I lack some basic knowledge about these things. My upper limit for this investition is around 200 Euros. But I do not know if these controller things can even control e.g. the mixer sliders in Cubase. How easy they are to set up. If one of these REALLY would help me with my aching joints?

Still looking for more enlightement.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

I'm not certain what the CME UF7 compatibility with which DAW's are yet it does look to be a promising unit. The Edirol claims to work with any and set up is user friendly. You should read more into it on their website, www.edirol.com
    As for myself, I am undecided as well. The CME UF7 is new and not road tested and if it's like anything else I've purchased form the same origin of manufacture, I would tend to wait to see a solid track record before purchasing. Then again, that's just my personal opinion and experience.
    Good luck.
    Styxx

Thanks for your continuing input!

I took a look at the Edirol CME UF7, but I fear it has a bit too many key for my needs (I already own a digital piano + don't have very much desktop space). Also the price it out of my affordable range.

But you inspired me to do further research and after browsing around the M-Audio website (somehow i like their products: My Audiophile 24/96 is the msot benevolent, sturdy and 100% working piece of hardware I ever bought) and found this (UC-33E)! Now THIS looks exactely what I want. At 250€ it also is not completely beyond the reachable price range. Unfortunately there is no modhweel.

Does anybody own this thing and can tell me about it? Or does anyone know if there exists a something like the UC-33E+ a modwheel? A kind of hybrid between their Oxygen8 product and that UC-33E?

Thank you Styxx for trying to help me! Your input is appreciated!

p.s.: After further research I found the Behringer BCF-2000 and the Novation Remote 25. Sigh, now I am completely puzzled...
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Thumbs up Re: Searching for a standalone Modwheel/USb Controller...

Glad I could give you a bit of a start. I concur it is a very perplexing decision with all the choices out there. One reason why I haven't purchased a new one yet as well. I liked what I read about the Novation Remote 25 and the models above the 25 especially with being able to switch from Spring joystick to static for modulation. But the price was out of my range. Unlike yourself, I need at least 61 keys to feel comfortable.
    Nice to talk to you and hope you find what you needs. Keep us posted and -- Hey People HOW ABOUT SOME INSIGHT HERE!
    Now off to help my friend set up his new Yamaha $999.00 keyboard synth /controller / autoarranger / USB interface and what ever else it does!
    Good Luck!
    Styxx

Hi Pete, I remember you!

We all need to be admired, comforted at times, and more important, loved!
    Nothing unusual with that, I can relate.
    Although a forum is a one dimensional place, a personality is something that can be easily "seen".
    Stay here with us, don't go away.

OK now, I can appreciate your serious joint pain. Back in 1997 I was blessed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Within two years I was ready for a wheel chair, I couldn't hardly move a joint. Now, thanks to regular visits to a Rheumatologist, some phenominal medicine and prayer, I have bad pain and swelling in my hands, but otherwise you would not know I have it. God is Good! Benediction?

So, I have this older Yamamha KX-88 keyboard, and it has some fantastic features, it has as you can guess, 88 weighted keys. I have a volume pedal as well as a sustain pedal connected to it. Here's the fun part.
    I use Digital Performer on a Mac computer, and one day my hands hurt so bad I almost couldn't use the trackball. I bought a Kensington Orbit Optical Trackball it is USB. I love it! It is so much easier on the hands!

Digitial Performer has an option in the mixing board menu to set an external midi device (cc#) to control the faders and pan. I highlighted the fader I wanted to control (automate) and moved the volume pedal, DP immediately assigned this controller to the volume fader. I was then able to create all my automation with the volume pedal. I mixed Clara Schumann's entire piano concerto in A Minor (21minutes worth) with this setup. I don't use Cubase, so I can't help you determine if it has this option or not, but I would definately check into the Cubase manual. Look for something like assign midi controller.

I hope this picks you up.
    Have a great day Pete!

dpDan

Thank you again for your replies!

@Styxx: Well, I need many key to feel comfortable, too. But since I already own this baby, I don't need more keys. I need a modwheel, and something to control my mixer sliders. Tough choice...

@DPDAN: I am more of an agnostic type, so I can not take comfort in prayers, but I am glad your pain got better. At this stage mine is not that bad. Somedays I can't click the mouse but it never was as bad as you described it. Your suggestions to these problems made me think. Thank you!

I also researched the documentation for Cubase SX2: Seems that all of the products you mentioned and which I dug out could be easily made to work with it. The procedure seems to be similar to what DPDAN describes.

Well, thanks to your input I have taken these 4 items into closer consideration:

* Behringer BCF-2000
    * M-Audio Oxygen8
    * Evolution UC-33E
    * Novation Remote 25

Seems that I will have to go to the music shop and take a look at them. I really like the looks and description of the UC-33E. If only it had a modwheel. Judging from the manual, I get the idea that I could map modwheel to one of the sliders.... Hmmm...
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter

Hallo Peter

I first bought the oxygen 8 but could not get used to the mechanics of the keys. It was just too far from the keyboards I'm used to play on...
    My second try is the Remote25. This is far better for me and has everything I need.
    I dont know how far from the Bodensee you live, but there is a unused Oxygen8 hanging around in Switzerland...
    rené

musicpete,

Consider also the M-Audio X-Session programmable controller. It has NO keys, but if you've already got a keyboard, it is a great way to add MIDI hardware controllers. It's also USB enabled, so it should be easy to set up and use. M-Audio is GREAT with USB stuff. You can get it in the US at American Musical Supply for ~$120 (US).

I tried to post links...but got some weird message about "Your post contains URLs...remove them before you submit it again." What is THAT all about?? Who ever heard of a forum where you couldn't submit a URL....?

--
    Mike

Go Back to forum