• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: USA Songwriting Competition Deadline

Share/Bookmark

USA Songwriting Competition Deadline

The USA Songwriting Competition is a sponsor of the GPO Orchestration Competition, and vice versa. Some of the winners will receive a copy of GPO. Thought the following may be of interest:

USA SONGWRITING COMPETITION DEADLINE APPROACHING, RADIO SHOW ON MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

Entries for the 10th Annual USA Songwriting Competition are currently being accepted. Winning songs of the 2005 USA Songwriting Competition will receive airplay on a nationally syndicated radio program “Acoustic Café” as well as XM Satellite Radio. This is the first Songwriting Competition that gives airplay to the winning songs, giving deserving bands, songwriters the recognition and exposure they deserve. Sponsors include Garritan Music Software, Sony, Rolling Stone magazine, Ibanez Guitars, Audio Technica and more.

On Sunday, May 29, 2005, 4pm (eastern time USA), XM Radio [Channel: Unsigned : XM 52] will be airing the 2004 USA songwriting Competition winning songs, featuring songwriters such as Patrice Pike, David Francey and many more.

All song entries must be postmarked by May 31, 2005 or earlier. For more information, please go to: http://www.songwriting.net

Eddie Phoon
    Event Director
    USA Songwriting Competition
    *World's Leading International Songwriting Competition*
    http://www.songwriting.net
    eddie@songwriting.net

Re: USA Songwriting Competition Deadline

Looks fun, but they want $30. Why? I'll bet someone is going to tell me "processing fees". So, if they get $30 an entry they are going to make way over $50,000, right? For "air play" on the radio and "honorable mentions"? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I'm getting sick of all these companies acting like something big is going on to cover up some sort of fee. My two cents.
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

I have learned by experience that there is a huge cost in running a competition. The GPO Orchestration Competition was an enormous expense - but a great success and worth every penny. Now why didn't I think of an entry fee?

Gary Garritan

A SMALL entry fee, I can accept.

$30US??? Not small.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    A SMALL entry fee, I can accept.

$30US??? Not small.
    If one is really serious about being a song writer there may be a local support group that will provide critique(brutal) and tip sheets so you can summit your songs directly to producers for free. I use to belong to one in Seattle years ago. The person who organized it was a Seattle corporate attorney who was a published song writer. As I remember he thought that most song writing contests were based on a profit motive and that the results were not always completely objective. Also stay clear of the ads that say they are looking for songs or lyrics. Theses are song sharks that rip people off with promises of success while asking for more and more money to rerecord and promote the material. They also promise to play your song on the radio but it will be played on a obscure station at 3 AM. They'll send you literature that looks impressive but you'll notice that the peoples faces are blured.

Thumbs up Re: USA Songwriting Competition Deadline

$30? Most people spend more in one month on junk food, cigarettes, Lottery tickets, and booze! That amount is nothing compared to what it may get you for the rest of your life! Gary is right about the cost of holding such competitions. I could only imagine what he put into it for your benifit! I would gladly hand over $30 to enter the GPO competition next year. I've a better chance of a satisfying return than any lottery!
    Styxx

OTOH, some of us can't afford $30US ($40 Canadian) PER SONG to enter into a competition - especially if we're not sure of our chances of winning if/when "the big guns" enter with their whoppers.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    OTOH, some of us can't afford $30US ($40 Canadian) PER SONG to enter into a competition - especially if we're not sure of our chances of winning if/when "the big guns" enter with their whoppers.
    Honestly, I think that's part of the point of a fee: not only does it cover administrative costs, but it also limits the field to very confident entries. Otherwise, people are free to send in anything (or *everything*: multiple entries per person!) on the off chance it'll win something, and these can overwhelm the time and thus quality allowed in judging.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Hey guys,

$30 is actually pretty decent. I beleive I paid $50 a tune for the John Lennon Song Writing Contest this year. Multiply that by 3 and what do you get, Jonny with an empty wallet! Oh well, it's only money.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

a very learned man told me that large competitions without entry fees tend to be more like a lottery...heck, even when playing the lottery you have to spend a few bucks!...competitions should be more about quality than quantity and having an entry fee helps to accomplish that

Go Back to forum