• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: getting 80 note polyphony on PII 350...question...

Share/Bookmark

getting 80 note polyphony on PII 350...question...

will getting an 800 Mhz processer dbl my polyphony? or do I need to get a UDMA/100 drive as well?

Re: getting 80 note polyphony on PII 350...question...

You should get 160 poly on a PIII800.

From what I\'ve read UDMA 100 gives only a marginal speed improvement over the 66s.

Your drive speeds are important too.
    7200 rpm & less than 9ms seek is good.

Polyphony also depends on what other software you\'re trying to run, and maybe the type of .gigs.

good I was wondering if ATA/100 was a key ingeredient or not

Everyone who\'s doing OK seems to be on ATA66, but faster can\'t hurt can it?

well....it can hurt the checkbook

Remember that the ATA100 stuff is a lot of marketing - it\'s only a signalling spec/interface. It doesn\'t mean that there are HD\'s out there capable of actually doing anywhere near 100MB/sec.

Respectfully,

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource
    The CMR Players

I just picked up a 30 GB Maxtor Ultra ATA/100 7200 RPM drive for $136! So it won\'t hurt the checkbook. I found a website through PriceWatch.com that was selling bundled ASUS CUSL2 motherboards with PIII 800 boxed processors (with heatsink, fan and 3 year warranty) for under $400. This motherboard has the latest Intel 815e chipset that supports PC133 SDRAM memory and Ultra ATA/100 drives. Be careful when getting motherboards with this chipset as many have integrated audio - yuk!!

The Maxtor DiamondMax Plus line were previously ATA66, but Maxtor has started shipping them all with ATA100 now. It\'s a sticker marked clearly on the box, so you should not have any problems identifying them. Nice, fast, cheap drives.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11008746&m=488&cat=511&scat=512

The link info says ATA66, but the drive box says ATA100. Check at your local store.

Not the best price, but there\'s a lot of info here, and you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

BTW, the Diamondmax Plus drives run /very quite/ for those of you working in a one room studio.

[This message has been edited by stark (edited 10-30-2000).]

[This message has been edited by stark (edited 10-30-2000).]

holy crap I thought they were alot more than that. I\'ll check out Pricewatch. I may go the SCSI route to network future computers. Just so that I can get some of the 10,000 RPM drives with quick quick access times, I think it might be a prob for \"average\" drives being accessed by two/three different computers. Especially if I want to get 160 on both puters.

I didn\'t think my new Maxtor drive was working when I first installed it. I could barely hear it with the computer cover open. This is one quiet drive!!

Go Back to forum