• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need some help from the Pros!

Share/Bookmark

Need some help from the Pros!

Greetings, everyone. I'm going to be writing a recurring column for www.createdigitalmusic.com. It is an up-and-coming site, organized and edited by Peter Kirn of Keyboard Magazine.

At any rate, my column is going to focus on Game Audio (my favorite topic!) and will cover everything from new technologies to soundtrack reviews and interviews.

I was hoping that some of the folks on NSS, currently working in the industry, might be able to assist. I'd like my column (or maybe a few columns?) to address current game soundtracks, with specific comments/interviews from the folks who actually worked on them. I know that a lot of interviews have come out recently regarding some of the newer games/soundtracks (the Jack Wall interviews spring to mind, though I think Ed Lima has had a recent interview as well) - but I'm hoping some of you on here might be interested in a bit of self-promotion.

So, in short: If you have worked on a recently-completed title that has a soundtrack available, and are interested in an interview or talking about the production process, please PM me with your contact info, the game title, and where I might be able to procure a copy of the soundtrack.

I'm really aspiring to make this a high quality column that focuses on the processes so that it will interest "classic" musicians as much as those who are more "game" focused as well.

Thanks in advance for your time - and let me know if you have any questions.

Re: Need some help from the Pros!

Only a handful games turn into soundtracks. It might not be that easy to find. But good luck with it - its a good idea, and really nice to see game music getting some spotlight

Hi, I PM'd you earlier but neglected to mention that the Stargate soundtrack is not planned for an individual release. There is plenty to talk about in terms of the score however, including the fact that the music is "interactive". Although, on that point, Im not sure how much we can say just yet.

Cheers,

Scott.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Yeah, like I said - I'm sure you will find plenty of pros who wouldnt mind a little selfpromotion, myself included. But you will find very few soundtracks

If it's in a magazine, then it's not really "self-promotion" anymore, is it?
    -Jamey

Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    I was hoping that some of the folks on NSS, currently working in the industry, might be able to assist. I'd like my column (or maybe a few columns?) to address current game soundtracks, with specific comments/interviews from the folks who actually worked on them. I know that a lot of interviews have come out recently regarding some of the newer games/soundtracks (the Jack Wall interviews spring to mind, though I think Ed Lima has had a recent interview as well) - but I'm hoping some of you on here might be interested in a bit of self-promotion.
    Indicator,

I see you're from Seattle and there's some great talent in our neck of the woods you may want to talk with. Jeremy Soule and Alistair Hirst are in the Seattle area and have worked on poplular games. You can check with Microsoft, Electronic Arts and the Seattle Composers Alliance. Also, the Bastyr Chapel in the Seattle area has been used for some blockbuster interactive games and you may be able to attend a session sometime.

Gary Garritan

Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone! I have gotten some great responses - more than I know what to do with at the moment, truth be told.

IOComposer - It is only self-promotion insomuchas I didn't know who to specifically contact at the outset. So folks have been "self-promoting" by offering to be interviewed or talk to me about their recent projects, etc.

Gary - Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look up some of those folks - not only for CDM, but also for my own education as an aspiring game composer myself. (PS - I'm a registered GPO user - thanks for the great product!)

Thanks again, everyone!

Just a quick update to say that the first column has posted:

http://www.createdigitalmusic.com/in...=553&Itemid=44

I have, thanks to NSS, lined up some excellent contacts and interviews and hope that this will turn into a robust and beneficial column for CDM, myself and the "subjects" of those interviews. Hopefully we'll be able to promote some of the fine work you are all turning out.

Cheers!

Go Back to forum