• Register
  • Help

Topic: Westgate Programming Question

Share/Bookmark

Westgate Programming Question

How are the Westgate programs are structured? It looks like a multi-layered jigsaw puzzle. They make use of many groups that are sort of randomly scattered about. I don't understand the logic but there must be some reason this was done. For example, with the Oboe Sus NV, it uses no less than 8 separate seemingly random groups. They are not organized in any manner I can figure out but when you put them all together they make sense. However, this makes it extremely hard for me to edit. Can someone take a look at this and explain if you know?

btw, I'm using Kontakt and imported these from the GIGA lib but I don't think that would alter the structure.

Any ideas?

Re: Westgate Programming Question

I am not familiar with Giga or it's programming techniques.

What i suspect is that some of the inividual samples have different ADSR envelopes in the Giga verssion, probably to fix different attacks or match them up . So Kontakt would have to make 8 groups with a different ADSR envelope to cover those samples ( since it doesn't support an envelope just for a sample )
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    I am not familiar with Giga or it's programming techniques.

What i suspect is that some of the inividual samples have different ADSR envelopes in the Giga verssion, probably to fix different attacks or match them up . So Kontakt would have to make 8 groups with a different ADSR envelope to cover those samples ( since it doesn't support an envelope just for a sample )
    That could well be what is going on as all but two different groups have different envelope settings. However, something else must be different between the two groups that have the same settings.

Well in either case, this does present somewhat of an editing conundrum for Kontakt users importing GIGA files using this technique! I guess there's no simple way around it?

Thank you Theodor.

Your welcome Synergy

I guess you could select all the samples with the mouse in mapping editor, and then right click : Move to a new clone group . Delete all the now empty groups . Then make an ADSR that suits all of them -> works usually , you can't hear a 5-10 MS difference between two oboe samples in a mix anyway
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Go Back to forum