• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Inefficient use of Sound Elements in Stylus RMX

Share/Bookmark

Inefficient use of Sound Elements in Stylus RMX

On my current project I am using a ton of the Sound Elements in Stylus RMX i.e Congas, Timbales, Tambourines, etc. I have been through the video tutorials but I simply cannot seem to find a way to either use them together in a single RMX, each assigned to a different midi channel in a multi like you can with loops, or assemble them in a Kit in Kit mode since the directory doesn't seem to go there. Is it possible? Presently I am having to instantiate about 5 RMXs in a song.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Re: Inefficient use of Sound Elements in Stylus RMX

By "sound elements", do you mean sound menus? If so, you can put one on each RMX part, just like grooves. That way each sound menu will respond to a different midi channel, 1 though 8. If you need more than 8 sound menus, load a second RMX instance.

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO
    By "sound elements", do you mean sound menus? If so, you can put one on each RMX part, just like grooves. That way each sound menu will respond to a different midi channel, 1 though 8. If you need more than 8 sound menus, load a second RMX instance.

- Glenn
    Thanks Glenn,yes I meant Sound Menus I will try this. I use RMX in Logic Pro 7.1 I assume I set the Stylus RMX midi channel in Logic to "All"?

If I choose RMX as a multi-channel instrument and create the auxes can I then bring up each of the sounds on a different aux?

www.jayasher.com

Just set up RMX for multi-timbral use like you would with grooves. For instructions on how to do this, see the "host-specific" pdf tutorial for Logic at
    http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO
    Just set up RMX for multi-timbral use like you would with grooves. For instructions on how to do this, see the "host-specific" pdf tutorial for Logic at
    http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity

- Glenn
    I did this a long time ago. I will now try it. Thanks, Glenn your help is much appreciated.

The only thing that originally confused me with RMX was using it multi timbral and/or multi channel. It appears I need to do both for what I wish to accomplish (discrete editable midi parts going to discrete auxes for mixing. Of course I can alternatively just mix in the RMX mixer but when it comes time to convert all my V.I.s to audio before I mix, which I always do, that approach may cost me time. On the other hand if I do it both multi-timbral and multi-channel I am looking at 15 tracks on the Arrange page and in the Track Mixer.

Whadd'ya think?

www.jayasher.com

Ashermusic,

I had been wrestling with this a lot lately, because I all of a sudden have many mult-timbral instruments in Logic... RMX, East West Platinum and RA, as well as Logic's own.

I decided to bite the bullet and create a new Autoload with all the multi-instruments set up, each labeled correctly, and each separate MIDI channel already assigned to a pre-determined Aux track, which is also labeled.

Utilizing Logic's Hide feature, my autoload is fairly clean, with just the basic elements needed to start a track. When I need to have access to any of the Multi AI's, or their aux tracks, I unhide them, and turn the "H" off, so they remain visible from that point on.

This helps keep things from getting to out of control from a visual standpoint.

Another option would be to have pre-created folders, but I haven't personally felt the need to go down that road yet.

Hope that gives you some ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    Ashermusic,

I had been wrestling with this a lot lately, because I all of a sudden have many mult-timbral instruments in Logic... RMX, East West Platinum and RA, as well as Logic's own.

I decided to bite the bullet and create a new Autoload with all the multi-instruments set up, each labeled correctly, and each separate MIDI channel already assigned to a pre-determined Aux track, which is also labeled.

Utilizing Logic's Hide feature, my autoload is fairly clean, with just the basic elements needed to start a track. When I need to have access to any of the Multi AI's, or their aux tracks, I unhide them, and turn the "H" off, so they remain visible from that point on.

This helps keep things from getting to out of control from a visual standpoint.

Another option would be to have pre-created folders, but I haven't personally felt the need to go down that road yet.

Hope that gives you some ideas...
    I have already done this and the first few parts are going to the auxes as expected but the last few are not and I cannot figure out why.

If I knew how to arttach a file in this forum I would but I don't see a button to do it. I have already sent it on to tech support at Spectrasonics so hopefully they will have an answer.

And yes, Hide is the way to go at a certain point as Logic's folder concept has never been to my liking.

www.jayasher.com

Have you tried putting the various elements into a User Favorites set, then opening that as a Groove Menu? I believe that will solve the issue, but I could be misunderstanding what you are trying to do.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    I have already done this and the first few parts are going to the auxes as expected but the last few are not and I cannot figure out why.
    Parts 6-8 will not go to an aux, only the mains. It appears that this may be a bug in Logic 7.1 as this apparently was not true in Logic 7.01. Eric, can you confirm this?

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic
    Parts 6-8 will not go to an aux, only the mains. It appears that this may be a bug in Logic 7.1 as this apparently was not true in Logic 7.01. Eric, can you confirm this?
    No I was wrong, it behaves this way in Logic 7.01 also.

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum