• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO VST difficulty in Sonar 4 PE

Share/Bookmark
    Mayor

GPO VST difficulty in Sonar 4 PE

I'm not sure whether this is a GPO problem, a Kontakt Player one, or a Sonar one, but I'd very much appreciate any help with it.

All was well until recently when the following started to happen. I can't remember what I did that caused it to happen. (probably adding a demo version of Cameleon 5000 as a VST plugin)

When inserting GPO as a regular DXi synth, all is as it should be - i.e. I get the updated Kontakt Player version 1.1.0.04 and Library 2 is indicated.
    However when I insert it as a VST instrument, it comes up as version 1.0.2.008 with Library 1.

I've tried everything I can think of (which isn't much!!) including searching for the offending old "personalorchestravst.dll" on my computer checking the properties for 1.0.2.008 and the only one I can see is in a BACKUP folder.

I've run the Cakewalk VST adapter 4 a few times but nothing changes. I've ticked 'remove', and 'reset all' 'rescanned existing and failed' and I've re-run the update program itself. all to no avail.

It may help if I knew which filepath Sonar is using when I do the insert but I don't know how to find out.

I've done my best to go through the forums to see if anyone else has had this but with no success.

It's probably staring me in the face, but I'm too blind to see it!
    Help!!!.....please?
    Last edited by mistersynth; 05-14-2005 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Wrong Forum

Re: GPO VST difficulty in Sonar 4 PE

Sounds like you do have an older version in a folder that's being scanned. Reset all fully scans and re-adds the plugins so you have to have an old one in their somewhere. Download the update again, reinstall and note which folder you put it in. Then delete all the other copies. Then rescan everything again.

Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Sounds like you do have an older version in a folder that's being scanned. Reset all fully scans and re-adds the plugins so you have to have an old one in their somewhere. Download the update again, reinstall and note which folder you put it in. Then delete all the other copies. Then rescan everything again.
    Many thanks Haydn! That did the trick. All back to normal now

You're SUPPOSED to use DXi for SONAR. SONAR allows use of VST, but DXi is native to SONAR. Simple answer-use the DXi.

There is a bug in the DXI implementation in Sonar, which is why most people use VST. The bug is that long sustained notes that carry over tempo changes often hang (infinite sustain).

I'm not sure if anyone is ever going to fix it, as it's been like that for a loooong time.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by rageangel
    You're SUPPOSED to use DXi for SONAR. SONAR allows use of VST, but DXi is native to SONAR. Simple answer-use the DXi.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I know DXi is the "standard" in Sonar but it's nice to be able to use VST as well. That way you can use say the Steinway grand with normal sustain pedal operation in DXi and strings articulated with pedal in the VST mode - or vice versa.

I did manage to get the problem solved after Haydn posted his reply. I'm happy again now I have both

Yes, and Jamie's right about the bug which causes infinite sustain when tempos are changed. I think I've seen a workaround solution in these forums - but I haven't needed it...yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersynth
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I know DXi is the "standard" in Sonar but it's nice to be able to use VST as well. That way you can use say the Steinway grand with normal sustain pedal operation in DXi and strings articulated with pedal in the VST mode - or vice versa.

I did manage to get the problem solved after Haydn posted his reply. I'm happy again now I have both

Yes, and Jamie's right about the bug which causes infinite sustain when tempos are changed. I think I've seen a workaround solution in these forums - but I haven't needed it...yet.
    The DXi tempo bug is a long-known bug in SONAR and that is why many use the VST version (which works just as well).

If you want dual sustain operation (for both normal sustain and legato), make a copy of the GarritanPersonalOrchestraVST.dll component and rename it differently - like GarritanPersonalOrchestraVST-2.dll. Both should then appear in your synth rack and can select between either or use both.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    If you want dual suatin operation (for both normal sustain and legato), make a copy of the GarritanPersonalOrchestraVST.dll component and rename it differently - like GarritanPersonalOrchestraVST-2.dll. Both should then appear in your synth rack and can select between either or use both.

Gary Garritan
    Instead, I'd recommend that you use Markleford's MFX plugin that gives you the ability to get the best of both worlds in mode 2 of the player. No need for separate .dll files if you use it. http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...=Piano+sustain

Tom

Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins & Gary Garritan
    The DXi tempo bug is a long-known bug in SONAR and that is why many use the VST version (which works just as well).

If you want dual sustain operation (for both normal sustain and legato), make a copy of the GarritanPersonalOrchestraVST.dll component and rename it differently - like GarritanPersonalOrchestraVST-2.dll. Both should then appear in your synth rack and can select between either or use both.

Gary Garritan

Instead, I'd recommend that you use Markleford's MFX plugin that gives you the ability to get the best of both worlds in mode 2 of the player. No need for separate .dll files if you use it. http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...=Piano+sustain

Tom
    Thanks Gary & Tom for those brilliant workarounds! It's not often that a person can be spoiled for choice with solutions to what seem like insurmountable problems!! But then again it seems to be the way of things here with your superb products and total committment to your customers and product support.
    I bet a lot of Sonar users will be happier when they read your posts!!
    Well done & many thanks.
    Regards,
    John

Go Back to forum