• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Orchestrial Piece by William West

New Orchestrial Piece by William West

I have been keeping such a low profile over the last few months. I have been so busy trying to run my business that music has been a little slow in coming to me. I have been busy writing a new piece over the last 5 months that will be premiered tonight at a recital at the Johnson Ferry Conservatory of Music.

I’m really excited about this one! As an Audio-Visual Presentation on a Large Screen (8 feet x 12 feet) that drops from the ceiling, the composition will feature GPO and the score condensed from Finale.

I wish the recording was better but I only had 2 days to make the recording and video. I used 65 tracks in Sonar 3, which kept causing dropouts, so I had to work a few tracks at a time. I applied the ensemble building technique to build the orchestra from the ground up.

Mp3 (8178 KB)

For More information on “Dem Green Pastah (In Green Pastures) visit the following link:

PS. I tried to upload the Audio-Visual Presentation of “Dem Green Pastuh (In Green Pastures)” but am having problems with the server. I will try again later.

We are the makers of music and the dreamers of dreams.

Re: New Orchestrial Piece by William West

Lovely! William, this is extremely well done... a very enjoyable piece that I listened to with much, much pleasure. I am impressed with the clarity, cogency, and translucency of the writing.

As for the recording, I must differ with you. I might have used a very slightly "larger room", perhaps -- but overall, I'd say you did a fine, fine job on that, too. I wish I could do as well!

Thumbs up Re: New Orchestrial Piece by William West

Hello there William,
    very nice piece. I enjoyed it very much. Congratulations!!
    I agree with David about the use of larger room to give a bit of pastoral feeling. Just an idea, the piece is, to the same way, very beautiful!!!
    Well done William, and
    Best of luck,

Glad you were able to log in as yourself again!

This piece is definitely beautiful! You use a wide range of orchestral colors as well, so it never gets boring. I especially love the pizzicato with woodwinds. In fact, I may just have to use that orchestration idea myself later.

I hope you can get the audio-visual presentation uploaded!

Thank you for sharing your work. Well done!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thank you Guys!

I am in full agreement with the reverb! I was afraid to apply to much as the Sanctuary it was being performed in was so large that I was afraid of things getting muddled. I do plan now that all is done, to add more reverb in order to get that more pastoral feeling.

You can see the score on the screen - photo taken during a "test run" before the concert.

What a fun sounding project William!

It's good to see you back here. I only joined about a year ago, but wondered where you have been

Great stuff!
    Beautiful hall too.

Orcas Island

How did the recital go?

This is a real treat! Very well written and arranged. I second etLux's sentiments regarding the clarity of your writing.

Regarding the space, if you want we can try using some of our impulses to hear how it sounds. If you want I can also host the video.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Houston, TX

hey, this is really nice...would love to see it complete with video!

Thank you so much for the kind words!

For a lot of people, this was the first time they had ever seen an orchestral score, much less ever followed one with the music. It was really neat to hear it in such a large space!

Overall, the concert went really well and the piece was very well recieved. I was really moved by the response of the younger musicians that were enthralled with the project and were full of questions like "did you really play all those instruments?" and "how did you do that?" One little girl pulled my teacher Misha to the side and asked if there was a piano version of the piece so that she could learn it! Coments like that make the project all worth while!

Unfortunately the movie file is too large to fit on my server. I am sending a copy to you Gary - fi you can get it on your server I would be honered if you would host it!

Thoroughly enjoyed the listen. Beautiful composition, wonderful orchestration and wonderful use of dynamic. From a sequencing point of view, again, really top-notch. Your sequencing really brought your piece alive, especially with the wide range of dynamics.

Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to hearing more of your works.

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast