• Register
  • Help

Topic: Success Stories with Standard PCs

Share/Bookmark

Success Stories with Standard PCs

I write music for film. Indies so far, so I have very little money to bulk up the studio. I am running DP on my G3 Powerbook and using an old korg X5DR for my sounds. Then I usually use live players to record.

I want to make the move to professional quality MIDI - so I figure . . . GIGASTUDIO!

Then people tell me \"get a custom-built PC\" and devote it to gigastudio. So I check it out. And like I said, I have very little money. I figure I can spend max about 2 grand, maybe a bit more on the entire system (soundcard, PC and program). I am learning that this doesn\'t seem to be too realistic.

Dave from Soundsonics says the least he can do it for is $1799 (after I tell him my max is 1800). This is without a soundcard or the actual software. Soundchaser comes in with an all-inclusive package which includes software I doubt I need for a bargain price of $3,800 (though they, as opposed to Dave, are including the sound card and Gigastudio itself). Still, like I said I have very little money.

Should I just buy a #$*$&%@ Dell? I could get a pentium III, 800 mhz, 40 gb hard drive for 1300? Dave\'s specs for the 1799 quote aren\'t as good as that. The question is:

ARE ANY OF YOU DELL (or standard PC) OWNERS SILENTLY HAPPY WITH DELL-LIKE GIGASTUDIO PC? SHOULD I THINK ABOUT GOING THIS WAY?

OR IS IT REALLY A NIGHTMARE I SHOULD AVOID UNTIL IT CAN RUN RELIABLY ON STANDARD PCs?

I\'m sorry to yell, but I\'ve pretty much had it with numbers and specs and things i didn\'t know i needed and people trying to take as much of my money as they possibly can. Should I just make it simple and get a Roland XV 5080 and call it a day? for 1799 + the memory upgrade I can plug-n-play with 128 voice polyphony and 32 MIDI channels, and serious expandability with other inputs, etc.

Please - imagine you didn\'t have a huge amount of money invested in your studio, and you weren\'t making a lot of money. What would you do?

Tell me what you think. Thanks in advance.

Re: Success Stories with Standard PCs

Like I\'ve said in earlier posts, these folks who \"make\" the DAWs are making a heck of a margin - as high as 40% on some. When you consider the recent drop in P3s and Athlon T-birds, they\'re making a BUNCH. From experience, Dell\'s are some of the most reliable systems there are - not as proprietary as Compaq\'s, and better quality than Gateway\'s. However, I still think that a home-built with a quality MB and quality RAM can run faster that any Major mfg.

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource
    The CMR Players

Re: Success Stories with Standard PCs

My DAW is a Dell 850 Mhz PIII with 256 Mb RAM and two 30 GB hard drives, runni

Go Back to forum