• Register
  • Help

Topic: System Requirements

Share/Bookmark

System Requirements

Hey folks! I'm thinking about buying GPO in the group buy. I need to make sure my PC specs are in the right ballpark.

AMD Athlon XP 2600 (1.92gHz)
    512MB RAM [I'll probably upgrade to 1GB]
    Windows XP Pro
    120GB 7200RPM HDD [with plenty of empty space]
    Multiple M-Audio USB MIDI interfaces [for controllers]

Should a system with these specs run the full GPO OK? I've read the 'official' recommended specs, but I'm looking for a real-world opinion or two...

--
    Mike

Re: System Requirements

Mike,

My system is:

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ Audigy Sound Card ~ 160Gb harddrive

And I am perfectly happy with how GPO performs.

(I started off with 512Mb RAM which was OK, but upfraded to 1.5Gb because I use the full Steinway a lot with other other instruments)
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Your computer is fine, but I would highly recomend that you go for the gig of RAM or more. The RAM is the most important in my opinion. Hard drive space isn't so important. A good processor is nice--yours is probably fine. I'm running a P4 1.8 ghz processor and I have some artifacts during playback but final audio files are fine.

About RAM:
    I have a gig and I can get a good-sized orchestra from it, even with the steinway. The problem is the strings. If you want the most realism from your strings, you'll need somewhere around 600 mb of RAM for strings alone (at least I do). What I do is make two files: one of strings and one of everything else. Then I mix the two toghether when It's all said and done. I'd recomend 1.5-2 gb RAM for the absolute most realism, but 1gb will do fine if you don't mind mixing files together as I described.

Hope this helps!

-Chris

Great! Thanks guys...you were a big help. I think I'm gonna put 1GB in for right now and deal with it. I've got x2 256MB SODIMMs in 2 of my 3 RAM slots. If I jump for more than 1GB, that would mean replacing what I've got or buying a REALLY expensive 1GB module. If I just add another 512MB (PC2700 DDR), I'll have 1GB. That will cost me about $90, for the same brand that I've already got installed.

--
    Mike

I got my last memory upgrade from www.crucial.com - appears good value for money, and I got excellent service.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Go Back to forum