• Register
  • Help

Topic: Don't buy Gigastudio!!!

Share/Bookmark

Don\'t buy Gigastudio!!!

I\'ve had terrible experiences with support for Gigasampler LE AND GigaStudio, and I thought I would share with other users my experiences so you don\'t get ripped off like I did. As it stands now, I have over half a dozen CRITICAL bugs reported into Nemesys (including 3 that render the product unusable), and there has been no responsiveness from Nemesys support. They don\'t answer emails, and if you do call in, they just add your request to the support queue and give you the polite answer of \"don\'t hold your breath.\"

The kicker for me was Gigasampler did not have key group support (the documentation even says that it will be supported in a future release). I needed this for hihat programming because the samples were not being turned off when hitting other hihat notes. So I was FORCED to upgrade to Gigastudio to get this functionality since they stopped supporting updates to Gigasampler. So $150 later I got the upgrade which REQUIRED me to register the goddamn product to get the damn thing to work. So after 3 days of sheer hell trying to get this thing to work, I discovered that key groups were working in Gigastudio, but basic things that worked in Gigasampler were now broken, not the least of which was the fact that whenever I started up Gigastudio it disabled all the audio outputs for ALL my soundcards so no audio tracks could be played back in Cakewalk while Gigastudio was running. It makes it awfully hard to mix something when you can only hear the Gigastudio drum tracks out of context with the rest of the song. Total pain in the *** .

After logging 12 bugs and enhancement requests and getting a single followup email from support saying \"thanks\" for QAing their product, I decided I\'d had enough of Gigastudio, and I sent a request to get a refund. Two weeks later I had no response so I sent it off again. The response I got back was that since I had registered the product it was Nemesys policy that they could not issue a refund. Not only could I not use it without registering, but then once I did I couldn\'t return it because the product, which DID NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED, had already been registered. Great policy, Nemesys. What a way to generate revenue. Force registration to enable the product and then deny refunds because it was registered. I believe the proper term for this is EXTORTION and FRAUD. Nice to see the mob is alive and well in the software industry, too.

Re: Don't buy Gigastudio!!!

Amazing this got no response & it was posted 8 years ago. What the hell?

I assume Gigastudio has improved since this post, but maybe I shouldn't assume.

Any Mac Users out there with GS, and how's it going for you?

Yours Truly -

Potential Customer

I've heard horror stories on forums about Gigastudio but I am happy to say I've never experienced any problems with it on my current system (my previous system had BSOD issues when using NVIDIA nForce SATA drivers rather than Microsoft's).

I've always run GS3 and can load about 1.2-1.5gb of samples and the system runs stable. I've had the occassional BSOD when shutting down the system after a heavy GS session (leaving it on for days, loading multiple performance files, loading gb's of samples in/out of memory) but never while playing.

Can't wait to see how GS4 runs in 64bit.

My GS3 system has been solid.

After the release, the Giga team released numerous free updates in short order that addressed various minor bugs and enhanced compatibilities. Same thing after GVI was released. The software team was very responsive to bug fixes.

One thing: GS (not GVI) runs in the kernel. If a given machine has the occasional error due to marginal RAM timings or overheating, or if there is a driver conflict, say with the video or audio card, GS is really likely to make bad things happen on that PC. There are two reasons: any crash in the kernel is a major crash on the system, and a sampler app is a busy beast.

But on good hardware with compatible drivers, GS3 is rock solid. I've used it semi-live (jam sessions) and it just keeps tickin'. I've also got Sonar 9 PE, Vegas 5, Acid 6 and Sound Forge 9 on that PC.

For people who like putting together PCs and making them tick, and who aren't afraid of troubleshooting, finding alternate components and drivers, reporting bugs and updating and downdating, being the first on their block to run GS4 will be a lot of fun. I can't wait.

For people who just want to install GS4 and make music, wait for some working system configurations to be posted, and stick with the critical parts list (mobo, RAM, video, audio) of a working system, and use the latest or recommended drivers. I don't recall reading about two identical PCs where one worked and another didn't.

If you "follow the leader" (or have a professional build you a system), GS4 should be a joy to run and use.

Quote Originally Posted by berkeleyguy

Any Mac Users out there with GS, and how's it going for you?

Yours Truly -

Potential Customer
    tread carefully....

*When* it all comes out, it's going to be Giga Virtual Instrument (ver. 4) ((a stand aolne/plug-in)), *NOT* Giga Studio (ver. 4) ((the full-featured sampler)) that will run on a Mac. *And* it's going to be not only Tascams' first venture in to the Mac OS, but also Tascam's first venture with Leopard.
    So, as a Mac user, I'm *really* hoping for a great product with GVI$ for Mac and, eventually, GS for Mac, but as I said...

tread carefully....
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

GVI-Mac will be the first publicly released Giga product for the Mac, but not the first engineering effort for the OS.

Last April I got a sneak peek at GVI 3 on the Mac. But it seems that the company decided to wait for GVI 4 before launching the Mac version. The good news is that the engineering team was able to do a dry run on the Mac. I'm sure that there were lessons learned that will be applied to GVI4-Mac.

It's always a good idea not to expect too much from version x.000, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about the Mac version. If anything it's a refinement of previous code.

Yeah,

Let your fiancee buy it for you instead.

I have used it since Creamware provided drivers back in '99.

Still use both live and in the studio.

Much money has been made, but I was thinking of getting a free VST sampler and starting all over again.
    JimmyV

Red face Re: Don't buy Gigastudio!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    GVI-Mac will be the first publicly released Giga product for the Mac, but not the first engineering effort for the OS.

Last April I got a sneak peek at GVI 3 on the Mac. But it seems that the company decided to wait for GVI 4 before launching the Mac version. The good news is that the engineering team was able to do a dry run on the Mac. I'm sure that there were lessons learned that will be applied to GVI4-Mac.

It's always a good idea not to expect too much from version x.000, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about the Mac version. If anything it's a refinement of previous code.
    Jon,

*serious jealousy* here from one of the thousands, anxiously awaiting GVI for Mac for a couple of years, that did *not* get a sneak peek at GVI 3 for Mac.

But my bigger concern is that many companies (Digidesign, MOTU, etc.) who've had years of Mac experience are struggling to get their apps happy with Leopard. Hard to think that TASCAM will nail it with their first Mac attempt. But, we're all really hoping they do.
    Mac G5 DP 2.3, Os 10.4.11, 4 Gig RAM running DigiPerf 5.13, PTools LE 7.4, Sibelius 5, Finale 2008,
    P4 1.7 Gig, XP SP2, 2 Gig RAM,running GigaStudio 3.2,
    3 x 20" LCDs, 2 x MOTU MTP AVs, Digi 002r
    Kurz K2000r, Roland XV-3080, Emu Pro II, Kurz PC2r, Alesis DM-Pro, Kurz Midiboard

Quote Originally Posted by williemyers
    *serious jealousy* here from one of the thousands, anxiously awaiting GVI for Mac for a couple of years, that did *not* get a sneak peek at GVI 3 for Mac.
    I don't know. Seeing it and not being able to have it might be worse. As a non-Mac person, it was easy for me to enjoy seeing it and then walk away.

But my bigger concern is that many companies (Digidesign, MOTU, etc.) who've had years of Mac experience are struggling to get their apps happy with Leopard. Hard to think that TASCAM will nail it with their first Mac attempt. But, we're all really hoping they do.
    Thinking about it, I'd bet that Leopard was a big reason as to why Tascam decided not to release GVI-3 on the Mac. Here they are, struggling to get to 64-bits on the PC thinking that they'll release the 32-bit Mac version only to have it obsolete in a few months.

The good news is that they won't fight Leopard with the "I've always done it the old way" mindset. Making their first formal release on Leopard might just be the way to go!

Go Back to forum