• Register
  • Help

Topic: Spaghetti vs Noodles, a HALion/NI Player collaboration

Thumbs up Spaghetti vs Noodles, a HALion/NI Player collaboration

Hey folks - I just wanted to send a shout-out to SCARBEE, Garritan and Bornemark - as thanks for the wonderful products they've developed. I just had a blast using Scarbee's Vintage Keyboard Collection in concert with Garritan's Personal Orchestra and Bornemark's Broomstick Bass, Groove Agent, and Virtual Guitarist- along with a supporting cast of other instruments and plugins - in creating the score for the comedy short "Spaghetti vs. Noodles", which is screening at several events and locations throughout the Cannes Film Festival.

Of particular merit is the Keyboard Gold Bundle, which includes both Scarbee's "Vintage Keyboard Collection" and "Vintage Keyboard Effects". The instruments in it are, in a word - superb. The HALion player is slick, simple and elegant, and the quick controls that have been assigned allow for easy and intuitive dial-in of the important instrument and effects parameters - and then it's rock-and-roll time.

The built-in effects are nice, but after a short bit of experimentation I set aside the presets in the VKC player that used effects and went to dry instruments with the separate VKFX as a full-time channel insert. This takes the Scarbee keyboards from "superb" to "truly amazing" without even breaking a sweat. I could go on for days about how useful these effects are - but I'll be going on enough here as it is... The only quasi-gripe I have about VKFX is that they have the word "Keyboard" in the title - and that does them an injustice. They are fantastic effects for nearly any instrument that needs a vintage sound. I used it on the guitar (Vintaudio's Les Paul Custom II in the full version of Kontakt) with a touch of another instance on the [Broomstick] bass, and would have not hesitated to use them on vocals if the score had called for it. The spring reverb alone is worth the price, but all of the effects are super-easy to use and they're very efficient - there's definitely some magic going on here...

I'll gush a bit about Garritan here, too, as Personal Orchestra once again saves the day. The gongs alone sold the director on using me for this gig. There's always something in the GPO toolkit that can be used for a quick and dirty mockup, and they polish up so nicely with the Garritan impulses (that came with GOS) that they're hard to part with even when you have world-class live players to replace the virtual parts. That struggle was never a risk here, and all of the instruments represented their respective rolls with distinction. The ubiquitous strings, a smattering of orchestral percussion, and a tuba and bass clarinet make an appearance - even in a non-standard roll they speak with an authentic voice and blend well with other instruments in a variety of contexts. It's difficult to get that from live players - and Garritan makes it almost too easy - almost.

Receiving honorable mention is Ethnosphere, which contributes no less than six instruments to the cause. As much as I'm irked by the streched samples and quirky looping, I keep coming back to this set more and more often - will probably need to spring for the update soon. Also, the RAW Chinese Instruments add a level of authenticity to the score.

Underpinning all of the rock-based cues was the work of Sven Bornemark, who is the wicked genius behind Virtual Guitarist, Groove Agent, and Broomstick Bass - all three of which make an appearance in this film score. I usually replace the semi-automated parts by extracting the MIDI performance and programming more detailed parts with samples like Scarbee's J-Fingered bass and Imperial Drums - or by bringing in a live player - but there was simply no time for it with the compressed schedule. These instruments stood up very well and did a job that made the director very happy. And even on a short film, that's as good as money in the bank.

So, that's about it for the production notes. I probably forgot something, but this late and I'm half-way headed for bed anyway.

You can check out the songs here - which all start with the title "Spaghetti vs. Noodles".

What pleases me most is that there are technologies out there like the HALion player and of course NI's Kontakt player that allow such large and complex virtual instruments to exist, co-exist and flourish in the virtual studio environment. This is a truly wonderful time to be alive as a composer, and I'm excited to see and hear what happens next.

Thanks for reading - and for listening.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: Spaghetti vs Noodles, a HALion/NI Player collaboration

I can't get any to play. It says verify the file name or path is correct. I have RealMedia on my mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    I can't get any to play. It says verify the file name or path is correct. I have RealMedia on my mac.
    Sounds like your browser is trying to find a plug-in to play the audio, but can't. Double-check your error message and provide more detials, browser version, etc.

There's a slight chance that it could have been a server glitch on Sony's side and they couldn't deliver the file, but that should have been short-term. I see the "listen" count going up on the files, so someone's getting them.

In any case, I've uploaded the files in mp3 and Windows Media Audio format, but will add Real versions after I get a chance to find a data rate that doesn't sound like "Real" poop. I've got to do that for the "Deserted" files as well, so it's a matter of blocking out the time to do the conversions and push up the files.

Oh - I almost forgot that I also added some of USB's Charlie B-3 plugin, with a bit of high-pass filter and chorus added to give it that Doors-y cheeze factor. And you'll hear some GPO harp in there as well - another small-but-important ingredient in the mix.

Hey folks - just a quick additional FYI - "Deserted", another film that I worked on with Deane Ogden has just been confirmed for screening at the Maui Film Festival, June 15-19. Cues from the score are available on the same ACIDPlanet site that I list in the first post of this thread. Thanks to everyone who's emailed me with positive notes. Don't hesitate to make your comments here - as long as it's polite.

Orcas Island

Congratulations Houston! This is great news. And thanks for the mention. You're doing some really great things lately. Best wishes for your continued success.

Gary Garritan

Thanks Houston! Great Spagetti music!!
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

Go Back to forum