• Register
  • Help

Topic: anyone successfully start with sequencer then export to notation program?

Share/Bookmark

anyone successfully start with sequencer then export to notation program?

I know this has been covered somewhat, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has found a comfortable method of working starting with a sequencer (I personally have Logic 6.4 on a Mac), then ultimately exporting the data (presumably as Midi) to a notation program (I personally use Sibelius). I know Overture is the obvious all-in-one solution on paper, but as I mentioned in another post I'm finding it unfortunately quite prone to crashing. Thanks for any thoughts on your workflow method!
    Best -
    robjohn
    -------
    Mac Dual 2 gig G5, 4 gigs ram, GPO Studio, Kontakt, Sibelius 3 with Kontakt Gold, Overture 3.61, Logic Pro 6.4

Re: anyone successfully start with sequencer then export to notation program?

Quote Originally Posted by robjohn
    I know this has been covered somewhat, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has found a comfortable method of working starting with a sequencer (I personally have Logic 6.4 on a Mac), then ultimately exporting the data (presumably as Midi) to a notation program (I personally use Sibelius). I know Overture is the obvious all-in-one solution on paper, but as I mentioned in another post I'm finding it unfortunately quite prone to crashing. Thanks for any thoughts on your workflow method!
    Best -
    robjohn
    -------
    Mac Dual 2 gig G5, 4 gigs ram, GPO Studio, Kontakt, Sibelius 3 with Kontakt Gold, Overture 3.61, Logic Pro 6.4
    Well, I have be using Cakewalk/Sonar as my input when composing although frequently a work will be well laid out before I begin using the computer. When I have it to my liking, I save a copy as a general midi file, quantize it exactly, then open with Sibelius. Most of the time, very little editing needed other than adding slurs, dynamics, expression sort of thing. The only troublesome part is layout, which can sometimes be difficult.

The reason I work this way is that Sonar can do all that I need when composing and playing with GPO or whatever. It is a poor notation program. Sibelius can do all that I need in notation, is not particularly good as a playback device and has some serious flaws (for me) that make it not practical for composing.

Over the years, I have tried a variety of programs, and this is the method that works best for me. Extra benefit is that I don't use GPO Studio, I use VST version with Sonar, which is easier on computer resources.

Richard

Hi Robjohn,
    The only problem going that route is that oftentimes, you have to do an INORDINATE amount of editing in the notation end to make it look decent.

I often work the other way around - starting off with a score, and THEN moving it to a sequencer to humanize and de-quantize it.

but I start with a base of notation.

I hear that Overture 4 will be the best of both worlds, it will function as both notation AND sequencer in that you can edit all the CC data by clicking on a given measure and all the tools you use in other DAWs are available. And overture will also HOST VSTi's so no need for GPO Studio either.

BUT - that is not here yet and you need help now.

My advice is would be to have a very quantized version of your sequencer version and import into Sibelius or whatever and then work for there - keeping the original one intact - that way you will have at least a good start for the score version, and still have a nice SOUNDING original version!!

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Of course, if you have different articulations set in separate tracks you may want to combine them in your MIDI file to make the import into Sibelius even smoother.

Robjohn,

This is exactly one of the things that I do. I'm working on a film score as a copyist. The music supervisor sends me standard midi files and mp3's of each cue. I'll open the midi in Finale and adjust the quantizing to what I hear in each cue. This is where your orchestration experience comes into play.

You might have a section of music in 4/4 which the midi file notates as:
    16th note, dotted 8th rest, 16th note, dotted eighth rest, etc.. for a full bar. But you might want change that notation to eighth notes with staccatos or quarters with staccatos to make it easier to read for real players. Same thing with slurs, listen for legato and put slurs in where you hear them.

I don't know of any easy way around this yet. You just have to shift gears and think like an orchestral musician and re-notate when necessary.

Or hire someone else to do it.

Good Luck,
    Jeff

Go Back to forum