• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Within These Walls (epic film score)

Share/Bookmark

Within These Walls (epic film score)

Hi all,

Lots of up-tempo happy numbers from me lately, so I thought I'd do something different to avoid being typecast as "that guy that writes the happy stuff". There's been lots of great score stuff in this forum lately and I was inspired by all the good work to add something to the canon.

This piece is a big, epic score type orchestration along the lines of Howard Shore. The piece could work with epic journeys or battles. I'll leave the imagery to the listener.

John Hawksley - Within These Walls.mp3 (5.1MB)

Big thanks to Moviemaestro without whose encouragement this piece would have remained on the cutting room floor on Saturday.

Hope you all enjoy it. It's moderately compressed but still gets pretty quiet and pretty loud. Turn it waaaaay up

John

Full Disclosure: GPO, LOP, G-Town, Pure Guitars, VOTA, A90-VE/RD1

Thumbs up Re: Within These Walls (epic film score)

Hey, good work!

Excellent mix and effects. Nice composition. Then it probably can reach the perfection whit a little refinement in the central point:

IMHO the melodic relaxed exposition of the theme "H, G A H, G A H, E F# G, H A" is not as good and sophisticated as the rest of the whole piece.

It's probably a matter of taste then I let you decide if it's already perfect for you!!!!

In the opposite case I would enrich the melody, and move the secondary part (the percussion is still very good in this section also).

Congratulations,

FV

Re: Within These Walls (epic film score)

Hi Fabio.

Middle sections are not my strong point. I never spend enough time on them once the theme is done. I actually quite like the relaxed restatement of the theme in this piece, so it's really a matter of taste like you said The final [B->A] (I'll use English notation, it's easier for me) was just an A in the original, but I guessed it was too simple so I put the apoggiatura (apologies for my Italian spelling) in as the final B leaning down to A.

I won't go back over it, since it's not really needed for anything and I rarely touch stuff once it's out there; but I will keep it in mind for the next one!

Yeah the percussion was a blast, as always

Thanks for listening Fabio!
    John

john, which, in your full disclosure alphabet soup, is the percussion? i like it a lot...this is good writing...there's a lot going on within your walls

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    john, which, in your full disclosure alphabet soup, is the percussion? i like it a lot...this is good writing...there's a lot going on within your walls
    Hi Josh... yeah we introverts are often mistaken for having a shallow personality, well I think we laid THAT ghost to rest Thanks for taking a listen, yeah I think it's my best work so far; very... filmic

The percussion is as follows (from memory)

LOP = London Orchestral Percussion: Bass drum (soft beatersl), snare, timpani soft, timpani hard, glockenspiel, crotales, triangle, tambourine, suspended cymb., crash cymb., anvils (unison with G-Town), tubular bells

GPO: Celesta

G-Town giga edition: anvils2, tom-toms 2, stomps (this is the classic Action Film percussive rhythmic effect), bass drum (hard beaters), brushed metal sheet.

Think that covers it all; think the sequence is about 94 tracks all in all (requires some scrolling!).

-John

It's too short! More, more! This is an awesome piece, but only lasts for three little minutes

I love your use of percussion! I can't wait until I get home from college and have a listen to this on my speakers, great orchestration! These epic/cinematic kinds of pieces really stir my imagination.

Thanks for not leaving it on the cutting room floor, I love it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Thumbs up Re: Within These Walls (epic film score)

John,
    you have done a beautiful job!!!!
    The percussions are perfect, also I enjoyed very much the oboe!!!
    The piece is well done.
    What is the instrument at the intro?
    is it a guitar or what?
    Nice to have heard this demo.
    Congratulations!!

Roberto

P.S. maybe a choir in this piece will be a good choise ?!!?!!

See John, what did I tell you about this one??
    I know greatness when I hear it!!
    Excellent work my friend Bravo !!

MM aka Steph

I had the good pleasure to hear John Hawkley's newest work "Within These Walls" on the chat this weekend. I've also mirrored this on the GPO site as per John's okay:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/JohnHawk...TheseWalls.mp3

John has done a fantastic job and this is a departure from the music he has done in the past. I really like what he has done and the direction John has taken.

Thanks for posting this John!

Gary Garritan

john, thanks for your complete disclosure - i'll make sure to familiarize myself...your use of percussion is awesome...let's hear more

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast