• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hard drives

Share/Bookmark

Question Hard drives

For a giga sample drive, Tascam recomends 7200 rpm. Will this do for demanding full Wagner orchestral performances? Or should I buy a faster rpm sample drive?

Thanks,
    Chris

Re: Hard drives

I've just built a new Giga box, and used the combination of Western Digital 74G Raptor SATA drives which run at 10,000 RPM (the difference was noticeable and required for my Piano libraries- particularly PMIs). Also, Maxtor has a new 300GB SATA drive with a 16MB cache- now that's double the normal cache of a typical 7200 rpm drive, and I'm finding nearly equivalent performance between these Maxtors and the the Raptors... that said, the Raptors are still the best short of SCSI. Regardless, I've found it best to run SATA multiple drives in a striped configuration (RAID 0)- and would recommend a RPM rating in excess of 7200. Also, there was a great article on drive performance in this month's Sound-on-Sound. Discussed the fallacy of various stats published by drive mfgs and an important point of WHERE you place your sample libraries relative to the outer-vs-inner sectors of the drive (outer spins faster than inner, of course). Would highly recommend picking up a copy and reviewing that as well!

The 10k Raptors are nice, but pricey and not very large. Another option is mutiple 7,200 drives.

For piano the Raptor would probably be best. For Wagner it might be best to use multiple drives and split the instruments accordingly. The other nice thing with multiple drives is that you can start with one and expand as needed - and when you find a good sale!

-JF

> For Wagner it might be best to use multiple drives

Don't you mean multiple machines?

I agree with the above post (10K raptors to be used *selectively*), but they make the difference for libraries such as PMI.

My configuration is: 74G X2 Raptors RAID 0 for Piano Libraries, or anything that requires intense polyphony

300GB x2 Maxtor SATA with 16Mb Cache, RAID 0 for everything else.

OS/Giga on a separate drive, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    > For Wagner it might be best to use multiple drives

Don't you mean multiple machines?
    Assuming that we want to optimize each machine, then multiple drives on each might be best.

-JF

Thanks guys for your replies.

Why would it make a difference between piano libs and the Wagner effect? Can someone explain it to me?

So I would probably be best off with multipule small 7200 RPM drives?

Thanks,
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Why would it make a difference between piano libs and the Wagner effect?
    For a solo piano you have one, big gig. You could split it across two drives, but how? Maybe you put naturals on one drive and accidentals on the other. But what if you're playing in the key of C? Or you could put pedal up on one and pedal down on the other. But what if you have an extended pedal part?

With Wagner you could put strings and woodwinds on one drive and brass and percussion on another. Or, even better: violins and basses on 1, viola and cello on 2, trombone and trumpet on 1, horn and tuba on 2, and so on. You can be guaranteed that anytime you play a tutti, you will be streaming from both drives.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    For a solo piano you have one, big gig. You could split it across two drives, but how? Maybe you put naturals on one drive and accidentals on the other. But what if you're playing in the key of C? Or you could put pedal up on one and pedal down on the other. But what if you have an extended pedal part?

With Wagner you could put strings and woodwinds on one drive and brass and percussion on another. Or, even better: violins and basses on 1, viola and cello on 2, trombone and trumpet on 1, horn and tuba on 2, and so on. You can be guaranteed that anytime you play a tutti, you will be streaming from both drives.

-JF
    I getcha!

Thanks, JF!

-Chris

Go Back to forum