• Register
  • Help

Topic: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

Share/Bookmark

Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

According to Newsday, Electric guitar pioneer Les Paul was one of 14 people inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame this year.

Les Paul invented the solid body electric guitar in 1946, and his Gibson Guitar Corp. model is one of the best-selling instruments in the industry. The 89-year-old Wisconsin native is widely renowned for his recording techniques.

National Inventors Hall of Fame: http://www.invent.org

This may make the Prominy Les Paul LPC Guitar Library even more valuable!

Smile Re: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    According to Newsday, Electric guitar pioneer Les Paul was one of 14 people inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame this year.

Les Paul invented the solid body electric guitar in 1946, and his Gibson Guitar Corp. model is one of the best-selling instruments in the industry. The 89-year-old Wisconsin native is widely renowned for his recording techniques.

This may make the Prominy Les Paul LPC Guitar Library even more valuable!
    Hello Gary,

Thank you for the news.
    Though he invented his Les Paul guitar before I was born, I am really happy that the great inventors such as Les Paul and Jim Marshall; the father of Marshall amp are still in good health and appear on many news.

Re: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

An even more important invention than the solid body electric guitar, Lester Polfus, better known as "Les Paul," actually invented multi-track recording as we know it today by installing a tape recording box on a solid body guitar back in the 1940's, which was used to over-dub several different unison guitar solo tracks and then playing back his guitar in unison with these recordings. Some of his more famous recordings using this unison multi-track recording technique were "Lover" and "How High The Moon," where he arranged some very nice intricate solo variations on these great standards.

Les Paul got his start back in the 1930's on WLS Radio in Chicago doing live radio shows featuring western style music and comedy under the name of "Rhubarb Red." In the 1940's and 50's Les and his well known wife, "Mary Ford," were teamed up as a duo, with Mary doing vocals.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Re: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

Les Paul was definitely one of the real innovators in the early days of the recording industry, but my personal experience with him was highly negative as a human being. We were hired to open for a Les Paul show in San Francisco in the mid seventies. Les seemed nice enough, asked if our drummer would mind playing with him, as his drummer "had another date and didn't show up for the gig."

The show was a con - Les had a female assistant running an ancient multi-track (an 8-track with the Ampex logo and a wired remote.) He played a part, to demo multi-tracking, then 'overdubbed' (what he played was full of mistakes, what came back was perfect. Obviously, totally faking it.)

At the end of the night, our drummer, who had to play with two acts and no break, asked Les to get paid for the set. Les got nasty, saying he should be honored just to play with 'the great Les Paul,' (a quote from LP) and finally offering ten bucks, calling our black drummer a racial epithet sort of under his breath. It degenerated rapidly into what could have been lethal, we were on the fourth floor with an open balcony...

Formerly excellent guitarist and great engineer, unfortunately an arrogant racist carny SOB.

True story, wish it weren't but I can't stand hearing about 'the great Les Paul' without cringing, and thinking how close our whole band almost came to serious jail time.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum