• Register
  • Help

Topic: Running GS3 on Servers

Share/Bookmark

Running GS3 on Servers

Is there anybody running GS3 on those rack mounted servers? It looks like a cool solution for running several GS3s

Re: Running GS3 on Servers

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Michelmore
    Is there anybody running GS3 on those rack mounted servers? It looks like a cool solution for running several GS3s

cool? definatly but extremly noisy!!!
    Digital AudionetworX

Re: Running GS3 on Servers

Hi there- I recently invested in two 4U rack servers (from ADK Pro Audio) and can attest to the trade-off of added power/scalability (YES), but at the expense of added noise. There's simply no way to crank up the throughout (multiple drives, multi-CPU- for the DAW unit, but the added power requires more fans and hence the noise). That said, the resulting performance was well worth it AFTER I bit the bullet and invested in an IsoBox. IMO, that's the necessary ingredient if you go down this road because you get the combination of cooling (necessary if you are running multiple machines in a small room) and attenuation... so I justified it as a 2-for-1 type of investment. Many options to choose from, but I'd recommend going with a brand that has plenty of references... After researching, I choose the IsoBox from Sound Construction & Supply (custom-consoles dot...). Not the cheapest, but it's the adage of getting what you pay for in this case.

Go Back to forum