• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Fear And Loathing At SoundsOnline

Share/Bookmark

Fear And Loathing At SoundsOnline

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Last week I joined the new SoundsOnline forum as I often used to visit the EW forums here.

My username was Brahms & Liszt (English Cockney rhyming slang for someone who's had a few drinks). I made several helpful and constructive posts and began to enjoy the new forum (although I was less than happy about several false and unfair posts criticizing the Northern Sound Source forums for heavy-handed moderation - a great irony, as I now know).

In the course of a thread discussing the respective merits of EWQL Silver and GPO, I happened to mention that although I preferred Silver, GPO outsold it significantly. I happen to know this because I have friends in the music retail business, but I supposed it was common knowledge anyway.

Imagine my surprise when Doug Rogers immediately posted in the thread demanding to know how I had come by this information! I replied that I had a few friends in the industry and supposed that would be the end of it.

But no. Nick Phoenix also posted in the thread frothing and raving because I'd dared disclose such "sensitive" information, and the next time I logged into SouldsOnline, there was a charming little private message waiting from Doug:

"With reference to the GPO vs Silver sales comment you posted on our forum I need to know your real name, your real email address and who you work for.

"Please respond as soon as you get this".

Those who find this as incredible as I did may view the original message here in IE's .mht format:

EDIT: (URL removed as the board insisted, but available in my post at KVR's Everything Else forum).

I replied that I'm a self-employed English writer with friends in the retail music business and that was as much as he needed to know.

When I logged into the SoundsOnline forum today my account and all my posts had been deleted.

This is incredibly ironic, as Nick and Doug have made several self-congratulatory posts about the wonderful "Freedom Of Speech" on the new SoundsOnline forum and how this differs from Northern Sound Source.

How strange, then, that in all my years of posting at Northern Sound Source under my usual nick (which I don't want associated with this unseemly squabble), I've never had a single problem, while SoundsOnline's paranoid, fascist behaviour has led to my being banned in the first week.

I would advise anyone who reads SoundsOnline's many threads slandering other boards to ask themselves just what it is that they're all so afraid of.

Only a handful of people have been attracted to SoundsOnline's new forum - all the posts are from the same half-dozen regulars bickering amongst themselves.

What a contrast to the thriving forum EW enjoyed when they were part of a popular respected board like Northern Sound Source!

No doubt they're now regretting their foolhardiness in severing such an invaluable connection.

Whatever, I shan't be going back there - not even to laugh at their blatant puffs and self-promotion.

My advice is to give these paranoid control-freaks a wide berth.

Re: Fear And Loathing At SoundsOnline

Quote Originally Posted by Brahms & Liszt
    My advice is to give these paranoid control-freaks a wide berth.
    That pretty much sums it up. Your story is a bit disconcerting, but not all that surprising - in the plain fact that GPO outsells EWQL by a wide margin - or in their cantankerous reactions. I remember when Nick Phoenix changed one of my posts in their forum to read "I am a monkey" as a sign-off - but he didn't realize that the system had added a comment of who made the change and when, and I got a screenshot of it before he could delete it.

Anyway, it all reminds me of the Ralph Waldo Emerson quote:

"Nature magically suits a man to his fortunes, by making them the fruit of his character."

They will now get to see how they manage their online business presence without using NSS Forums as a crutch.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

EDIT: Removed, agree with Jon. Lets see.

Luca
    Last edited by Lux; 05-17-2005 at 09:34 AM.

Thinking of quotes:

In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move
    Douglas Adams

Please, for f***'s sake - stop using these forums for this sort of crap. Life is just not long enough. Houston, you're too intelligent to bother cracking open a can of vitriol on this nonsense. I can respect it annoyed our cockney sparrow friend but I really think its all so childish and tedious. B&L, go down the pub, have a beer and tell the story to a few mates if it bugged you that much.

Quote Originally Posted by JonP
    . I can respect it annoyed our cockney sparrow friend but I really think its all so childish and tedious.
    It may well be childish and tedious, but suppose you made a post in one of the developer forums here. You mention in passing that although you prefer the developer's Product X, Product Y (made by another developer), outsells it.

Next time you log into that forum there's a PM from the developer demanding to know your real name, e-mail and employer's details.

You decline to supply the information and next day you find that all your posts have been deleted and your account no longer exists.

You'd find that acceptable behaviour?

I don't think so.

Either way, if this thread doesn't interest you, don't read it.

Simple.

Hi,

With all of the politics that have gone on in the past on this forum and on others which referenced the politics here, I have to agree with JonP as well. There are many hidden agendas around, many people with an axe to grind, and many people making statements of fact when they don't know all of the details. Just because you know a few people in the music industry does not mean that you have access to sales figures for both Garritan and EastWest. You posted it as a fact that GPO has outsold QLSO Silver. How can you know that? I can speculate (but I won't here) but that doesn't make my speculations any more fact than yours.

The problem that they had with your post was that and nothing more. Why would you make such a post? Since you were discussing the merits of each, why would this be useful info to someone else reading the thread? Because it offers nothing useful by posting that GPO oustold QLSO Silver, it could easily be seen by the forum admins over there as more politics from over here.

Interesting that you have very few posts here and very few posts there. It hasn't been uncommon for someone posing as a different person trying to act like they aren't related to another company when in fact they actually work for someone else.

Now, can I know your real name, email address and who you work for?

FV

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I'm sorry, but I feel that this entire thread is unfortunate.

Brahms and Liszt, it is a violation of this forum's rules to create multiple accounts. According to the rules, it's an immediate and permanent ban.

And I support this rule 100%. I would go as far as to say that I would support a rule that required all posters to use their REAL NAMES, and post their real address and real phone information.

I am sick to death of people posting under multiple pseudonyms. This is why I hate "handles." There is just no accountability in it.

If a person doesn't have the balls to put his identity behind his words, then why should I care what he has to say?

Back when GPO and Silver were first announced, a lot of petty stuff went on. I'm not surprised that it's still a sensitive topic.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson

I am sick to death of people posting under multiple pseudonyms. This is why I hate "handles." There is just no accountability in it.

If a person doesn't have the balls to put his identity behind his words, then why should I care what he has to say?
    Can't say I've ever thought much about it before but given all the political b***sh*t that's been infesting otherwise decent forums of late then I say fair enough.

B&L, its not what supposedly happened to you that is the issue as far as I'm concerned, its the fact that you sign in as a newbie to a respectable forum like NS and infest it with your agenda. Just the title alone is cancerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    That pretty much sums it up. Your story is a bit disconcerting, but not all that surprising - in the plain fact that GPO outsells EWQL by a wide margin -
    Since both companies are privately held what is the source of your facts? Has each company told you what they've sold that you can make such a didactic factual statement?
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast