• Register
  • Help

Topic: slaving PC DAW to G3 powerbook for CDs

Share/Bookmark

slaving PC DAW to G3 powerbook for CDs

hi guys!

i\'m thinking about controlling a PC DAW running GS with a G3 powerbook running DP, with the final goal of burning demo-quality CDs.

my concerns:
    i don\'t have a big studio. pretty minimal, in fact what\'s the bare minimum of hardware/software i\'d need to burn a CD using only the gigastudio sounds from the PC? what would this look like?

i know that the fact that I\'m on a POWERBOOK is problematic (no expandability on the mac), so i think i\'d have to do the digital audio on the PC. Can I do what\'s necessary using GS alone? Do I need another software program? I\'m new at this

i really appreciate anybody\'s ideas!

thanks
    J

Re: slaving PC DAW to G3 powerbook for CDs

Maybe others have had better luck, but my PIII800 can\'t do Logic\'s audio side at the same time as Gigastudio with reasonable polyphony.

The recommendations from everyone so far has been to run the audio recorder on a separate PC.

[This message has been edited by Chadwick (edited 11-14-2000).]

are you already running DP on your Powerbook. If so, then the performance you\'re getting out of audio is pretty much what you\'ll get with or withut running GS from a PC. Will you be recording any live tracks? If so then you\'ll either need a good audio interface for your Pbook, or get software on the PC that will record. If all you plan on doing is use GS as the instrument, you can capture the audio to Wav in GS, using Performer as the sequencer. Then transfer the files to your Pbook via network/ethernet, or a form of Media (ORB/ZIP/JAZZ)

I have been experimenting the past couple of months using a G4 (with digital performer) and a PC together. Right now I just have them hooked up via midi and I must say that I am VERY impressed so far. I have been able to do just about anything I can think of. I can switch out instruments while DP is playing with no pops or clicks whatsoever. And there is NO latency between the two machines. If anyone has anything that they would like me to try just let me know and I\'ll let you know my results. All I can say is that this definately the way to go---at least for me

Donnie
    DS Soundware

Go Back to forum