• Register
  • Help

Topic: Preferred Hub for Giga network?

Share/Bookmark

Preferred Hub for Giga network?

Finally gathering together the pieces to put together my Giga network..
    I think I remember a discusion once about certain hubs not being ideal for this task? I think some negative things were said about Dlink's products? Opinions and experiences please?

A point of curiosity - my main system is already equiped with a gigabit ethernet card, but my other systems have 10/100 cards - is 100 Fast Ethernet sufficient to run giga through Giga Teleport, or is it necessary to replace those cards too? (Planning on getting a backwards compatible hub - 10/100/1000 anyhow)

Thanks

Re: Preferred Hub for Giga network?

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    Finally gathering together the pieces to put together my Giga network..
    I think I remember a discusion once about certain hubs not being ideal for this task? I think some negative things were said about Dlink's products? Opinions and experiences please?

A point of curiosity - my main system is already equiped with a gigabit ethernet card, but my other systems have 10/100 cards - is 100 Fast Ethernet sufficient to run giga through Giga Teleport, or is it necessary to replace those cards too? (Planning on getting a backwards compatible hub - 10/100/1000 anyhow)

Thanks
    If you are using Giga Teleport you should not be using a hub but a switch.

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    If you are using Giga Teleport you should not be using a hub but a switch.

Daryl
    Right you are - I misnamed what I meant, I did intend switch.

Slow day for network questions it seems..

Anyone have opinions/experiences with the Netgear GS608 8 port gigabit switch? The specs sound good, and the pricing is decent... they also have a 5 port version, but I figure for a few dollars more I'd might as well be prepared for future expansion.
    It seems to be a relatively recent release, since there aren't any reviews for it online yet.

I just bought a netgear 5 port gigabit switch. It's being delivered today, but I won't be able to install it untill friday. I'll let you know my impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by inteleky
    I just bought a netgear 5 port gigabit switch. It's being delivered today, but I won't be able to install it untill friday. I'll let you know my impressions.
    Thanks for responding!
    I look forward to any report you can make on the unit's functionality for giga. Best of luck with setting up!

Go Back to forum