• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: GS 3.x (32 bit) and 64 bit Windows XP

Share/Bookmark

GS 3.x (32 bit) and 64 bit Windows XP

Has anyone been brave enough to try this yet? I'm wondering if the memory management limitations will have changed, even when the consuming application is still 32 bit. It would be great if we could make use of the better part of 4 gigs of RAM, or even more of the approximately 1.1GB of 2GB RAM that most users can eke out of GS at this time. Imagine being able to have just one Gigastudio machine for your entire orchestra template.

PM me if you have 64 bit (Athlon 64) hardware and are interested in trying this.

fizbin

P.S. It's just now dawning on me that since GS installs itself as a kind of driver that it will have to be ported to 64 bit first, before this will work at all. Any news on that?

Re: GS 3.x (32 bit) and 64 bit Windows XP

Sorry, this couldn't possibly work as far as I know, due to the 32 bit kernel code in Gigastudio... Only 32 bit user space code can run under XP64.

I imagine they will eventually code a 64 bit version, but not before they've ironed out the problems with the 32 bit one.

I spoke with Tascam at NAB. They're actively working with the latest 64-bit goodies in the lab. (As is every other major Windows developer who is worth their salt. No sensitive news here.) They are taking 64-bits and multi-core/multi-processing very seriously. They know that the big win with 64-bits is that it blows through the current RAM limitations.

That said, GS3 is 32-bits, period. They've made no public announcements about any 64-bit products, thus far.

To get a 64-bit implementation, one needs a 64-bit processor, a 64-bit OS, 64-bit audio drivers and a 64-bit app.

Come to think of it, I would guess that they will need to spec GSIF-64 and get the hardware manufacturers to implement it. I would guess that this would be a fairly trivial change though.

-JF

But won't the bottleneck still occur in the DFD streaming end of the application? I don't see the benefit really. Even though you aren't streaming huge chucks of data anymore (assuming the new RAM threshold means that much more loaded into memory) you're still sending a lot of information up the pipe.

Not bashing anything, just curious as to the real world benefit of this considering the current state of hard drive thruput.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    But won't the bottleneck still occur in the DFD streaming end of the application? I don't see the benefit really. Even though you aren't streaming huge chucks of data anymore (assuming the new RAM threshold means that much more loaded into memory) you're still sending a lot of information up the pipe.

Not bashing anything, just curious as to the real world benefit of this considering the current state of hard drive thruput.
    I think it would probably be a matter of being able to load much larger pre-buffers, therefore decreasing the chance that a sound would need to "stream" before its pre-buffer had played out.

Of course this all depends on people being able to afford larger amounts of RAM, as well.

Bottom line, there is no free lunch, no panacea. One way or another, there will be a cost associated with pushing performance past the boundaries of the current state-of-the-art.

As much as everyone would love to believe that the world is going to change forever at the very next technological plateau, this is just not the case. I have been making music with computers since the early 1980's. Progress is almost always incremental, with leaps very few and far between.

And, at least in my experience, the computer you want will always cost $3500.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    And, the computer you want will always cost $3500.
    You've got that right!

Putting it the way you did, I guess I can see how it could increase DFD performance, which in turn will allow greater polyphony in realtime. I just wish there were more focus on the architecture needed for DAW performance. It is markedly different from video production or gaming, which most PC design tends to be created for.

But given the sizes of the instruments necessary lately due to the design of the libraries on the market, how long do you think it will take before the benefit of such a setup will markedly decrease? As soon as the bar is raised, VSL or someone else will simply create 1 (or more) gigabyte patches. I mean, the legato instruments are already HUGE. Of course, you can mix them down a track at a time when you're done.

I'm just saying when raising the bar, there's always someone else who'll come along and require it just a bit higher.

That's totally true.

The other half of the "computer you want" equation is this:

This year's software always need next year's computer to really kick a**.

...at which time, Apple and Microsoft will release a new OS within months of each other and break everything.

This is how it works. We were "almost there" when I was using Apple IIe's. We were almost there when I bought a "Lisa" (worst money ever spent award).

We were almost there when I bought my MAC, almost there when I replaced it with a 286 that scorched it and ran Cakewalk, almost there when I got my 386-DX 20, almost there with 1 mb of RAM, almost there with 8 mb of RAM, almost there with 128 mb of RAM (surely), etc., etc.

I was SO almost there when I bought the ADATs.

Almost there, really. Almost there.

Hey, look at it like this, you're keeping the economy healthy.

I think you should hold out until there are some good mobo's for the INTEL 64bit dual core processor$$$

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast