• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Client needs "Jupiter" mockup

Share/Bookmark

Client needs "Jupiter" mockup

I have a client who has asked me to create a mockup of "Jupiter" (from Holst's "The Planets"). I'm busy finishing up two other films and won't have a chance to get to it, but I was wondering if anyone had already done a mockup of this piece.

The client is fairly picky, and wants the mockup to be indistinguishable from a real orchestra, if possible. Budget is unknown right now, but it won't be very big.

Anybody already have this mockup (or be willing to create one)?

Thanks!

John Keltonic
    JDK Music

Re: Client needs "Jupiter" mockup

Outstanding, Sharmy! I'll email you privately.

John Keltonic
    JDK Music

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    As an example, the Puccini estate regularly nails people for using Nessum Dorma.

Lee Blaske
    I believe that this is due to the librettist dying much later than Puccini, so this doesn't happen in Europe, only the US.

Daryl

The score to the Planets is available as one of Dover's budget editions - which is usually a strong indication of it being public domain (though by no means certain).

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Composers always outlive the librettists in Europe? I think I need to move.

Lee Blaske
    LOL

What I meant to say was that the librettist is not taken into consideration in Europe when classing music as public domain.

Daryl

"The Planets" is definitely Public Domain now.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Must've been fairly recent then, no? I seem to remember that Nicholas Meyer wanted to use it for Star Trek VI back in '91, but it turned out to be more expensive than hiring Cliff Eidelman to write an original score.

Quote Originally Posted by Lundquist
    Must've been fairly recent then, no? I seem to remember that Nicholas Meyer wanted to use it for Star Trek VI back in '91, but it turned out to be more expensive than hiring Cliff Eidelman to write an original score.
    Holst died in 1934, which makes Jupiter public domain in all countries except Spain and Belgium.

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    Holst died in 1934, which makes Jupiter public domain in all countries except Spain and Belgium.
    Thats right. In germany GEMA says, the inheritance hold the rights
    70 years after the death of the composer. I don´t know it for other countrys.
    So its free just since last year. :-)

Chris Hein

I did some PLANETS stuff for "Duck Dodgers" earlier this year. Warner Bros. checked it out for me and earlier this year (January or something like that) it became public domain.

For many years it has been incorrectly assumed as being PD, but, well, NOW IT IS!

Go Back to forum