• Register
  • Help

Topic: HEY DPDAN ANY TIPS?

Share/Bookmark

HEY DPDAN ANY TIPS?

Mark has completed another original song and desires a female voice for the main vocal. I am working on the orchestration using that guys personal orchestra what ever the heck his name escapes me, geezzz.... oh, yeah, Ralph Humburgstinski Laverne Berinski Cavanoffski. Nope, that's not him ... Ralph has the Accordion lib. Oh, yes now I remember ... Garritan Personal Orchestra (although it really isn't so personal now after so many of us use it.)
    Anyhow, I thought you could give me some tips on the best way to record the female voice? You know like mics and such? Yes? No? Ezz goodt? No?
    Styxx

Re: HEY DPDAN ANY TIPS?

Tips:
    1. First, find a female.
    2. Make sure she has a voice.
    3. Oh gees… Dan where are you.

Hi Styxx, you can get very beautiful sounding results by buying a nice vintage tube mic by Neumann for around 6 grand, and you can buy an oxygen free Monster mic cable for probably as little as $200.00, but instead, you can go the Guitar Center and buy a microphone made by Oktava. The model is MC 012 might be labeled MK 012. Get the cheap one with just one capsule, it is a small capsule type cardioid condensor microphone that sounds fantastic, and it will blow your mind. The next part will blow your mind too, it is about $100.00.

Get a nice panty hose type microphne windscreen (popper stopper) and you'll be set. I will probably use this very mic for a female vocal for one of my Christmas songs for the 2nd annual GPO Christmas CD.

Hope that gets you the results you need. Try your best to not do any EQing of the mic. If the vocalist is good the recording will soudn sooper dooper!
    Thanks for asking.
    Hi Karl! woof woof
    dpDan

Thanks for both replies (Karl & Dan). Dan, sound like a plan but let me ask if what I have will do just as well. Audio Technica 4040 and I do have a pop screen however; it's more like a Popeye screen for singers that forget to brush their teeth after eating spinichsk. A kuk kuk kuk kuk! Arfsk arfsk arfsk arfsk! I yams what I yams! Oooo, Olives.
    Tha goil I have in mind is a little sweet petunia who has quite a gifted voice.
    So, no eqing, eh? Are you saying before or after she lays down the track? I'm going to try the session in Samplitude V8.
    Thanks for the info Dan and remember ... It's not how long the boat is. It's how big the crabs are!
    Styxx

I'm no expert, but does one size fit all? Would you record and mix a soprano the same as an alto? Julie Andrews the same as Janis Joplin's zombie?

In a thread not long ago (or far away) the recommendation was not to buy equipment, but to rent the studio. You then get a) a collection of mics and pre's to choose from, b) the expertise of the studio engineer, and c) a good sound booth/room.

You might use your existing mic to work out the plan, then visit a studio to quickly do the final recordings.

Then again, spending money on toys rather than on services can be fun.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I'm no expert, but does one size fit all? Would you record and mix a soprano the same as an alto? Julie Andrews the same as Janis Joplin's zombie?
    That's impossible to answer until you start to mix.

In a thread not long ago (or far away) the recommendation was not to buy equipment, but to rent the studio. You then get a) a collection of mics and pre's to choose from, b) the expertise of the studio engineer, and c) a good sound booth/room.
    That's true, but if you want to record the vocalist yourself, like Styxx does, this is what I recommend. I have never used a 4040 so I can't say.

You might use your existing mic to work out the plan, then visit a studio to quickly do the final recordings.
    I agree, if your results are not to your liking, make sure you don't use just any engineer or studio though.

Then again, spending money on toys rather than on services can be fun.

-JF
    That's for sure!

Dan

Well, if worst comes to Worcestershire sauce, we'll be seeing you Dan!
    Styxx

he he he bring it on babe!

Thumbs up Re: HEY DPDAN ANY TIPS?

Hey, Dan! I'm getting a nice warm sound from this PreSonus FirePod preamps and the Audio Technica 4040 so far. I'll have to send you the tracks for your approval.
    Styxx

Hey, if it sounds good that's great!

Dan

Go Back to forum