• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midi Controllers to use with Gigastudio

Share/Bookmark

Midi Controllers to use with Gigastudio

Hi group!

I\'m new to you and a pre-Gigasampler-buyer (I need to save some money first).

I\'d like to know in advance what a good Midi-Controller to buy for Gigasampler/studio. I wonder if a Guitar-to-Midi- unit is good for Bass & Guitars and probably what other instruments? Then: Anybody using a Yamaha Wind Controller like the WX 5. How good is it for use with Brass libraries??? Is it a good choice for string-libraries as well (what else?)??? How about the Kurzweil Ribbon controller: any experiences???
    Or: Is a Keyboard still the best and only preferred controller? Any advise which one to use?

Thanks in advance

------------------
    O.H.

Re: Midi Controllers to use with Gigastudio

I use a Yamaha WX-5 but I haven\'t used it to trigger Gigasampler yet. I am looking forward to trying it.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OH:
    Hi group!

I\'m new to you and a pre-Gigasampler-buyer (I need to save some money first).

I\'d like to know in advance what a good Midi-Controller to buy for Gigasampler/studio. I wonder if a Guitar-to-Midi- unit is good for Bass & Guitars and probably what other instruments? Then: Anybody using a Yamaha Wind Controller like the WX 5. How good is it for use with Brass libraries??? Is it a good choice for string-libraries as well (what else?)??? How about the Kurzweil Ribbon controller: any experiences???
    Or: Is a Keyboard still the best and only preferred controller? Any advise which one to use?

Thanks in advance

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ive been using the Starr labs Ztar midi guitar that uses fret triggers instead of pitch to midi and have had very good sucess using it with giga studio in left hand mode.
    Im not totally comfortable with using it in standard guitar trigger mode because of glitches.
    But thats not a giga limitation just a Ztar software limit ,although they do have some new software that I haven\'t bought that could help in the standard guitar trigger mode.

I use the new Bit Stream PRO from waveidea ( http://www.waveidea.com ) and it is definitly the best way to control every parameter of Gigastudio, even the FX !

Vincent

Hey guys, I just bought GigaSampler and the Advanced Orchestra set, and I need a new keyboard controller to get the most out of it. My current controller is only 61 keys and has very little MIDI control outside of velocity sensitivity.

Any recommendations? I am not a piano player so I don\'t need piano action keys. I just want something where I can fully control the samples in GigaSampler. I was thinking of getting a Roland A-70, but they don\'t sell them anymore so I would have to get one used. I would get the A-90Ex, but it is pretty pricey. I\'m looking for something under $1,000, preferrably closer to the $500-$700 range.

One issue I didn\'t think of before is that with Advanced Orchestra using the very bottom octave to do some patch control, I may need a full 88-key keyboard. Any comments on this from an Advanced Orchestra user?

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 12-19-2000).]

Jamieh,

Try looking at either a Kurzweil SP88 (approx. $650), 88 keys, semi weighted, decent sound block if you ever need to take it live. Or look at a Fatar Studio logic 890 (I think it could be the 990) same thing 88 keys but no sounds. These should be two pretty decent options.

Hope this helps,

Donnie
    DS Soundware

Thanks Donnie. I have looked at those two options. At first glance the Kurzweil looks like the perfect solution, but I found out that it doesn\'t send aftertouch. How much does that tend to be used with GigaSampler libraries?

The StudioLogic SL-880 could be good too, though I am a bit worried about it\'s lack of MIDI features and stories I have heard about trying to use a weighted key keyboard with samplers. Since I\'m not a piano player, I would almost prefer a non piano-action keyboard, but maybe I am overreacting here.

Ok, so I\'m down to four possibilities for my keyboard controller for GigaStudio:

1) Korg SgPro/X (on sale)
    Pros: Good sounds, Good control
    Cons: Don\'t really need sounds, not as much control as other options. Can I map velocity curves on this puppy?

2) Fatar Studio Logic SL-880 with outboard Peavey PC1600 or other MIDI controller
    Pros: Approx same price as Korg on sale, better control
    Cons: Keyboard itself doesn\'t have much control--Might be better to have all control be in keyboard

3) Peavey DPM C8X Demo unit on sale
    Pros: Pretty much all the control I could want
    Cons: Still more expensive than other options. Demo unit.

4) Oberheim MC-2000
    Pros: Seems to have everything I need, cheaper than Peavey C8X
    Cons: Ugly & heavier than ****. Keyboard action supposedly not as good as other options.

Anyone want to comment on these options? Anyone have the above keyboards and like or dislike them? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 01-04-2001).]

Go Back to forum