• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: best use of Garritan/Finale/Cubase

Share/Bookmark

best use of Garritan/Finale/Cubase

Hey,

I use Finale to notate my music. Then I export the midi's from finale, and import them into Cubase. I then make a VST instruments in Cubase and assign them to channels.

My problem is that it sounds better in Finale, with cheesy microsoft wavetable sounds! In Cubase, with Garritan, the music sounds unclear, muddled, and even moreso, my computer slows to a bloody crawl.

My computer is an Athlon Xp+ 1.8ghz, 1gig of RAM, I have an external M-Audio Quattro soundcard - it should be able to handle nine channels of MIDI without going haywire, right?

Anyone have an idea of what's wrong, or know a better method to do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks!

Re: best use of Garritan/Finale/Cubase

When you create the file in Finale, I would guess that you are not using HP optimized for GPO, or using expressions created to control the Mod Wheel (CC#1) - this is what controls volume/expression in GPO.

You need to do one of the above, or draw/record Mod wheel data for each track once you have imported the file into Cubase.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    When you create the file in Finale, I would guess that you are not using HP optimized for GPO, or using expressions created to control the Mod Wheel (CC#1) - this is what controls volume/expression in GPO.

You need to do one of the above, or draw/record Mod wheel data for each track once you have imported the file into Cubase.
    Got it! Thanks. I have seen a tutorial for creating expressions in Finale that work with GPO, but I don't know about that first suggestion, human playback optimized for GPO - how might I go about that?

Thank you!

Sorry - I should have said you need Finale 2005 for GPO optimized HP.

If you do have F2k5, GPO optimization is an option in Playback - HP settings.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Sorry - I should have said you need Finale 2005 for GPO optimized HP.

If you do have F2k5, GPO optimization is an option in Playback - HP settings.
    Sounds so much better - thanks! Now does this mean that markings like forte and piano will work when exported as midi and imported into Cubase? How about the expressions like crescendo, etc..

I guess you do have F2k5.

The answer is yes, they will.

A tip though - I have previously been critical of HP, but I found that it was because I wasn't using enough dynamic markings - particularly at the start and end of cresc's and decresc.'s.

Good luck!
    Richard N.

Cheers Richard,

Thanks for all your help. (I do have F2k5). I usually go overboard with the dynamic markings, mostly because I'm a fascist about my music, but it tends to give a more convincing result. That's why, originally in Cubase - before all this - I was wondering why everything sounded so muddy and dull! Much better now.

Thanks again!

I guess you do have F2k5.

The answer is yes, they will.

A tip though - I have previously been critical of HP, but I found that it was because I wasn't using enough dynamic markings - particularly at the start and end of cresc's and decresc.'s.

Good luck!

OH! One last thing.

Do I want to use HP Incorporate Data or HP ignore data?

Thanks!

If you put specific data in that you want HP to ignore, choose ignore.

If you put data in that you want HP to play but not to add any extra HP effect, choose no HP.

For most other circumstances it probably safe to leave it set at incorporate data.

Jeff

Two more options I can't figure out:

What about this Optimize Velocities under the Optimize for GPO option?

And the Reverb - how do I turn it off entirely? I have reverb master effect that I usually use that is really nice quality. Or will it sound weird if I don't use reverbon the MIDI side?

Thanks for all your help - hope I'm not becoming a bore!

Go Back to forum