• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can I use track-based automation to control GPO volume in Logic?

Share/Bookmark

Can I use track-based automation to control GPO volume in Logic?

I can't for the life of me figure this out. I assumed that I could somehow assign an external controller to affect modulation (since the mod wheel settings is what controls volume in GPO) and be able to see mod settings/change them, etc. in the same way I can control volume settings for other instruments in track-based automation (with the yellow line responding to my slider movements, etc.) . But I can't figure out how to set this up. I also notice that even with volume set to be controlled in GPO by modulation, that I CAN use track-based automation to control volume, but this volume seems to be a different volume than that which is controlled by modulation (also confusing). Can someone tell me how you have this set up? Thanks so much -
    - robjohn
    ----------
    Logic 7.0, Mac G5 Dual 2 ghz CPU, 4 megs ram, GPO Studio 1.2, using Roland XP-30 as controller

Re: Can I use track-based automation to control GPO volume in Logic?

Forgive me if this is elementary to you, but modulation (dynamics in gpo) is controlled by CC1. I can set this up easily in SONAR using envelopes or drawing control data, so I imagine it's fairly simple to map automation to cc1 in LOGIC.

Incidentally, Volume is CC7, but it sounds like you're looking to automate mod wheel / CC1 dynamics.

Hope this helped,
    chris.

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by robjohn
    I can't for the life of me figure this out. I assumed that I could somehow assign an external controller to affect modulation (since the mod wheel settings is what controls volume in GPO) and be able to see mod settings/change them, etc. in the same way I can control volume settings for other instruments in track-based automation (with the yellow line responding to my slider movements, etc.) .
    (Disclaimer: I'm still using version 6 of Logic, this might have changed in 7.)
    AFAIK, the main problem is that Logic doesn't treat audio instruments like MIDI devices. Besides other consequences (one of them being the fact that you can't assign default staff styles to audio instrument tracks, which drives me mad every time I try to use the score editor with GPO), this means that you won't find any MIDI controllers in the track automation pull-down menu on audio instrument tracks.
    One not-so-elegant workaround for this is to create MIDI devices for every GPO instance in the environment and connect them to the corresponding audio instrument channel strips. Now you can create tracks for those MIDI devices in your arrangement window. They'll behave like normal MIDI tracks in Logic (so you can write modulation data to the track automation instead of the objects), but instead of external MIDI devices, they're controlling the audio instruments. The downside of this is that you won't have immediate access to the audio path anymore, so if you want to change a patch in GPO, insert any plugins into your instrument channels, or change any aux levels, you'll have to use the track mixer window or the audio environment.

Hope this helps...
    jan

Wow, so it IS more complicated than I thought. And here I was thinking I could simply assign an external controller knob so that when I raised and lowered it, a graphic representation of my actions would appear within track-based automation showing the changes to the modulation settings (and therefore the volume level of the GPO track). I guess no such luck :-(...

If no one else chimes in I guess I'll bravely attempt your workaround!
    Thanks and all the best -
    - robjohn

Go Back to forum