• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Batteries Inside the Mac MINI?

Share/Bookmark

Batteries Inside the Mac MINI?

I read a report about someone who has installed rechargable batteries inside the Mac MIDI case, delivering a couple of hours of runtime while retaining the small form factor. http://www.home.earthlink.net/~silasb/macbat/

All you need now is a monitor that runs on batteries!

Gary Garritan

Re: Batteries Inside the Mac MINI?

Thats totally funny. I wonder if the tape is therein the picture just for effect?

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Thats totally funny. I wonder if the tape is therein the picture just for effect?
    Nope - i read this article too. The tape is to bind together the three or four batteries together. It is a special thin tape - he said eletrical tape is too thick.
    As Gary already mentioned, the monitor still needs juice, so i don't see a practical application for this. AND - the hard drive has been replaced with a 4 gig CF card. (can run OSX, but not all of GPO too - speaking of - without the optical drive, how WOULD you get anthing onto that computer? I guess you could mount it as a FW drive on another mac and install that way, but sheesh. I like the idea for this - but the practicallity doesn't seem evident.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Clearly this is a job for...

Dr. MegaVolt

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jerry,

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    As Gary already mentioned, the monitor still needs juice, so i don't see a practical application for this. .

Jerry
    From a Film Sound Mixing standpoint; it's an intriguing idea. Nagra and DATS(which I own) are outdated. Several companies have put out compact Flash devices (about 3) and more commmonly DVDR devices. Also, there's a new company that's put out Mac computer based hard disk recording for film sound mixing. (I asked a distributor for the system and they said though they recomomend a powerbook, they said a mini would work as well.
    So anyway I can find to power devices on thier own power WITHOUT bugging or getting unplugged by the G/E department is a plus.
    What this guy did is pretty common in my field.

Sincerely,

Jonathan

All I got from the link is back to my schools home page. Anyway, I'll bet the professor from Gilligan's Island would have figured it out. Kills me, the professor could develop just about anything on that island except how to get off.
    Batteries indeed, Ha!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP
    ...From a Film Sound Mixing standpoint; it's an intriguing idea. Nagra and DATS(which I own) are outdated....
    Instead of a MAC, why not jury rig together a bunch of iPods into a giant RAID device to do the trick?

Instead of a MAC, why not jury rig together a bunch of iPods into a giant RAID device to do the trick?
    Well It's more than needing a hard drive space. In location recording we need something more robust than just a deck with portable power. With the computer or specialized non linear recorders, you can actaully name the meta data, and log things.

Sincerley,

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP
    Well It's more than needing a hard drive space. In location recording we need something more robust than just a deck with portable power. With the computer or specialized non linear recorders, you can actaully name the meta data, and log things.

Sincerley,

Jonathan
    I suppose if apple had an SDK, someone might be able to create software and drivers to 1) create a I/O interface (small kboard) to allow you to name dialog tracks 2) create a link to digital clapper board so you can record precise SMPTE sync with camera for dialog...

I suppose if apple had an SDK, someone might be able to create software and drivers to 1) create a I/O interface (small kboard) to allow you to name dialog tracks 2) create a link to digital clapper board so you can record precise SMPTE sync with camera for dialog...
    Yeah. I don't know what SDK is . . . standard keys perhaps? The meta recorder is the first software I've seen specifically for film sound.
    Yeah, and for some reason film audio culture progress seems to move slower than studio audio culture.
    It seemed for years, that if you even tried to bring a computer on set for way pro tools, you were labeled a novice and didn;t know the business. Now, it's not uncommon to have, especially if a film is music intensive, an on set tech that does nothing BUT Pro tools recording and playback.
    We're finally seeing a democatization of film sound technology that wasn't there when I started a few years ago. And thank God, because my wallet has been hurtin.

Sincerley,

jonathan

Go Back to forum