• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will this PC config work RELIABLY ???

Share/Bookmark

Will this PC config work RELIABLY ???

Hi you all PC/Giga guru. I will be putting together a PC dedicated to Giga and was wondering if anyone has this config working RELIABLY. Any recomandation/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gygabytes GA-7Z-1 VIA KT 133 or Asus KV7
    AMD Thunderbird 1 Ghz
    2 x Maxtor ATA-66 7200rpm
    ATI 8 Mb rage video
    256 Mb SDRAM ( 133 )

I have put together PCs before for Gigastudio and Gigsampler using older Asus and Abit motherboard with bx chipset but since ( they worked great )but these are out of production and i will have to use the newer components above...i just want to make sure it works..Thanks

Re: Will this PC config work RELIABLY ???

I\'d stay away from the Via KT 133 chip set. there are a lot of problems with it\'s PCI routing. If you check out all the Digital Audio Recording Cards that use PCI buss mastering, they don\'t recommend that chip set. How do I know? I purchased an Asus Motherboard with that set and PV34x and now I\'m looking for a replacement. I use the Layla and have to do a workaround to make it work. In addition Via never replys to my questions about the problem.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AV:
    Hi you all PC/Giga guru. I will be putting together a PC dedicated to Giga and was wondering if anyone has this config working RELIABLY. Any recomandation/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gygabytes GA-7Z-1 VIA KT 133 or Asus KV7
    AMD Thunderbird 1 Ghz
    2 x Maxtor ATA-66 7200rpm
    ATI 8 Mb rage video
    256 Mb SDRAM ( 133 )

I have put together PCs before for Gigastudio and Gigsampler using older Asus and Abit motherboard with bx chipset but since ( they worked great )but these are out of production and i will have to use the newer components above...i just want to make sure it works..Thanks
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmm. MWarren21, that\'s interesting. I\'ve used the P3V4X since their release on both of my DAWs, and have not had the problems you describe, or at least not major ones. I\'ve just finished replacing one of them with the ASUS A7V, with the KT133 chipset, and after some tweaking, gotten it to work fine with the 1 GHz Thunderbird, and GSt. What MB/Proc combination do you plan to switch to?

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource
    The CMR Players

[This message has been edited by SteveMitchell (edited 11-28-2000).]

I heard the KT is a better chip. I\'m curious, what audio cards are you using? I\'m thinking of going down one card that uses the old 440 Intel chip set that Asus makes. Forget the model at the moment. I know Motu doesn\'t rec.,DAL, Layla mentions the problem, Frontier and the list goes on and on. I have a P3 866mhz, two Cheeta LV160 drives. 256mb of 133fsb memory and I\'m running windows 98se. What video card do you use? I\'m glad though that you\'ve encountered no problems with your audio interface.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SteveMitchell:
    Hmmmmm. MWarren21, that\'s interesting. I\'ve used the P3V4X since their release on both of my DAWs, and have not had the problems you describe, or at least not major ones. I\'ve just finished replacing one of them with the ASUS A7V, with the KT133 chipset, and after some tweaking, gotten it to work fine with the 1 GHz Thunderbird, and GSt. What MB/Proc combination do you plan to switch to?

Steve Mitchell
    The CMR Players

[This message has been edited by SteveMitchell (edited 11-28-2000).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GSt is on a PIII 933MHz by itself. The 2nd (new KT133) runs Cakewalk 9.03, along with a WAMI Rack 24, an SBLive with custom 115 Meg Soundfont, and several outboard Synths.

Steve Mitchell
    The CMR Players

[This message has been edited by SteveMitchell (edited 11-29-2000).]

Go Back to forum