• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Brass Sounds

Brass Sounds

Here is a little piece I wrote with some selfmade brasssounds.
    Alto-Sax, Tenor-Sax, Trumpet, Trombone and a warwick bass.
    All together have about 12.000 single samples.

I´d like to know what you say,

Chris Hein

Re: Brass Sounds

I like the tune, being a teenager of the '70s.

It must have taken you as long to count those samples as it did to record them.

Sounds great! When will they be ready?

Ben H

I like it. Any more info? Do you have an english version of your website? I can't really under stand what's going on there...

That's pretty good! The samples seem well thought out. If anything it seems the shortcomings are mostly based upon programming realism and release time of the samples: there is too much overlap in what are supposed to be monophonic/legato lines. Some very cool sforzando/swell stuff in there!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

I like the tones on everything. It starts to sound a little synthy on the faster moving lines in the solo breaks, but that's being real picky. Sounds real good!

Great stuff! Starts off a bit synthy but gets better and better. The ending (high trumpet hits) is awesome. How about perhaps running the instruments through a hardknee compressor to get that ultrasnappy attack? Solo trombone is great too.

St. John's NL

Jeez, man! I'm really impressed!!
    As already mentioned...some faster lines sound a bit fake...Dunno what sampler you're using, but if it's GS, maybe you could fix that with some time invested in legato programming? Is there such a tool for Kontakt or others?

Just a suggestion. Ignore it and you'll still sound AWESOME.

Yes indeed,
    really impressive,
    even, as this has been said before, some "synthyness" in legato fast lines remains.
    Anyway, if it's not perfect, it's better than anything else I heard in this brass style department.
    It seems to be a good time for brass this year, a lot of things are on the way...
    I also think that a more user-friendly site would be welcome : i went there several times without being able to find anything related to those samples !

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

The basic tones sound great. The programming sounds totally synthesized, and I cannot tell if this is due to what was captured in the session or the way the samples are mapped. I have too little info to make an assessment, other than that this does not work musically at all. This particular demo sounds rather like a keyboard player in a hotel lounge band.

I think that I agree that the releases sound too long, there is no release time on a wind instrument. When the air stops, the sound stops. Also, what is being played as solo lines are very, very keyboard-istic, and not characteristic of what a horn player would play, other than some rips etc. You also really hear that the scoops are pitch-wheel driven. Real scoops sound nothing like this.

I think you guys might need to hear more horn bands. This demo sounds almost nothing like actual horns. But the library might be a lot better than this particular demo sounds, and might move better from note to note in later incarnations if this is an early version of the mapping.

Go Back to forum