• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sad Story

Share/Bookmark

Sad Story

I saw this article in this week's Newsweek. It's a good thing Gary got the GPO organ while he could. Maybe someday it will be the only one left.

May 23 issue - The biggest mystery in Europe this year isn't "The Da Vinci Code"—it's the question of what is killing the Continent's great pipe organs. That is the issue confounding scientists, music historians and organ experts involved with the EU-funded Corrosion of Lead and Lead-Tin Alloys of Organ Pipes in Europe (COLLAPSE), a research project formed when a mysterious corrosion began appearing in the hollow cylinders of some of Europe's oldest and most venerable instruments. One of the first incidents was discovered in the early 1990s, when the pipes of the 538-year-old Stellwagen organ of the St. Jakobi parish church in Lubeck, Germany, became cracked and hole-ridden. Since then, similar cases have appeared from Italy to the Netherlands. Experts fear that thousands of Europe's 10,000 historic organs are damaged.

There are many theories as to what lies behind the deterioration. One likely cause is corrosion by acids that are emitted naturally from oak wood, which was used to renovate many organs in the 1970s. Others suspect it might have something to do with the pipes' low tin levels. Researchers are also weighing the effects of temperature, humidity and outside emissions.

As of now, the only way to save the affected organs is to replace the damaged pipes with new ones. But this presents another problem. "These pipes are like the Stradivarius violins," explains COLLAPSE's Carl Johan Bergsten. "No one knows how the organ builders back then made them sound so beautiful." Like the corrosion affecting the instruments today, he says, "it's a mystery."

—Christina Gillham
    © 2005 Newsweek, Inc.

Karl

Re: Sad Story

Ouch! You're right Karl. This is a sad story.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Experts fear that thousands of Europe's 10,000 historic organs are damaged.
    "These pipes are like the Stradivarius violins," explains COLLAPSE's Carl Johan Bergsten. "No one knows how the organ builders back then made them sound so beautiful." Like the corrosion affecting the instruments today, he says, "it's a mystery."

?Christina Gillham
    © 2005 Newsweek, Inc.

Karl
    It always amazes me to see the loss of a craft that was obviously so widespread at one time.

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Unhappy Re: Sad Story

That's terrible!
    I guess nothing lasts forever, right?

-Chris

That is very sad indeed. Though, I know that the organ in GPO is safe - von Beckerath organs are modern,( http://www.beckerath.com/en/index.html ) though many of his are PATTERNED after much older ones. (like our GPO organ)

I wonder if they can reproduce the metalurgical properties of these decaying pipes and restore them with identical pipes? I bet the cost is prohibitive.

Sad.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum