• Register
  • Help

Topic: Awesome sounding wind chimes!

Share/Bookmark

Awesome sounding wind chimes!

Way to bad I couldn't sample these! I took my wife out to lunch and afterwards stopped at her favorite nursery for flowers (ugh). Anywho, there was a display with various size wind chimes made out of aluminum tubing. One in particular, although not the most expensive, had the warmest, deepest, clearest tones you have ever heard! At $199.99 it was way out of my budget but man what a awesome tone! Nope, nothing comes close! Man, I am tempted but have to save for a graduation party and two birthdays in June. Shighst, it's a curse to be a percussionist!
    If I had the means I would sample and put them up for grabs on this forum! You've never heard such tonal graciousness! I'm going back tomorrow write down info and see if I can find on line or at least call the manufacture.

Just thought I would share.
    Styxx

Re: Awesome sounding wind chimes!

LOL...I've done the same thing...falling in love with wind chimes at the local garden store. Like you, they are out of my price range, but man, I've heard some beautiful wind chimes.

I love them so much, my piece Nightwinds starts and ends with windchimes, not the typical orchestral instrument. I took the wind chimes from our patio, hung them up, held the mics and hit record on my computer. Added some reverb and had a great sounding sample to use in Nightwinds.

Ron

It would be interesting to sample a nice set of chimes and play with various pitch changes say like in kontakt.
    Styxx

Maybe you could save up for a DAT field recorder.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I'm going back tomorrow write down info and see if I can find on line or at least call the manufacture.

Just thought I would share.
    Styxx,

When you get the info, let us know the details. I've been looking enviously at windchimes for the last year and, like everyone else, the ones I like are outside my budget. But the sounds produced are great!

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

This is a tad tangential, but there's a cool little piece of software out there that can be used to mimic windchimes... I've been searching around for it for like an hour so I could tell you about it, but I can't find it anywhere. Anyway, maybe my description will ring a bell and someone will know the program.

Essentially you have a box, and you assign each of the 4 walls a different MIDI note. Then you can put any number of balls into the box, each ball assigned to a different MIDI instrument. You set each ball into motion at your choice of trajectory and velocity. Each ball bounces around the 4 walls independently, and if you get a bunch of balls bouncing with various sounds and notes, it creates really cool random soundscapes. If you set it up to trigger MIDI chime/glock/celeste/etc. sounds, you could create some fairly realistic windchime effects...

Anyway, I can't find the software for the life of me, maybe someone knows the name...

aha, found it, it's called Sounder.

www.sounder.com -- fun little experimental thingy... try it with GPO studio and see what comes out.

chris.

Go Back to forum