• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Problem Loading A SONAR Project With GPO

Share/Bookmark

Question Problem Loading A SONAR Project With GPO

I'm using GPO with SONAR 4 Producer Edition. Here's the problem:

1. I open GPO and load a suitable orchestral template.

2. I open SONAR 4 PE, set up audio and MIDI tracks, assign tracks to their corresponding GPO players and subsequent instrument slots.

3. I save the SONAR project file, then save the GPO template as a corresponding template for the SONAR project.

4. I close both SONAR and GPO.

5. I re-open GPO, load the GPO template for the SONAR project, then I re-open SONAR.

6. I find that I must reassign all the tracks in the SONAR project file to their corresponding GPO players and subsequent instrument slots.

7. I scream, pull out my hair, chain-smoke half a pack of Marlboros and ask myself "What am I doing or not doing that I have to reassign SONAR tracks to GPO every time I open the thing?!

8. I post this thread in the hope that someone will be gracious enough to explain what I should do or not do to remedy the problem, and then tell me that smoking is bad for me and that I should try yoga instead.

Re: Problem Loading A SONAR Project With GPO

The best way is to load GPO as VST instrument on a Sonar audio track, and then set the "out" on a midi track to the appropriate GPO player and slot.

This is the short answer - let us know if you require the detail.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Check the Sonar manual section regarding adding VST synths. You'll need to use the VST Adapter and make sure you point it to the folder that the GPO VST file is in. Then startup Sonar and you can insert the VST using the Insert DXI, scroll down to VST which will expand and show GPO. I'd recommend not using the DXI version as it has a tempo change bug.

Question Re: Problem Loading A SONAR Project With GPO

[QUOTE=Richard N.]The best way is to load GPO as VST instrument on a Sonar audio track, and then set the "out" on a midi track to the appropriate GPO player and slot.

I've been load GPO as a VST, but the problem persists. The project file simply doesn't remember that I'm using GPO. I have to keep setting up that part of the project over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by danny7
    I'm using GPO with SONAR 4 Producer Edition.

8. I post this thread in the hope that someone will be gracious enough to explain what I should do or not do to remedy the problem, and then tell me that smoking is bad for me and that I should try yoga instead.
    Well, here is what I would do. If it does not work, fire back with info about where it fail.

1. Open Sonar

2. Open synth rack, selecting GPO VST

3. Select Multis (templates) or load whatever presets you like or have created and saved.

4. Select whatever Sonar templates you wish.

5. Assign each template channel appropriately to the VST player - you can have more than one player active if needed.

6. Save your Sonar Project.

7. Close your project, and Sonar. Start again and see that it worked -- don't we hope!! It really should.

Richard

Are you saving after adding GPO? You must save for Sonar to remember your settings. Sonar will remember all the VST's you've added plus the settings in the VST like the instruments loaded.

Question Re: Problem Loading A SONAR Project With GPO

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    Are you saving after adding GPO? You must save for Sonar to remember your settings. Sonar will remember all the VST's you've added plus the settings in the VST like the instruments loaded.
    Yep, and I still have have the problem.

Danny,

Pardon me for asking the obvious, but are you saving the SONAR project as a "Normal", not a "MIDI x".

If you save as midi, it will "forget" the synth assignments.

In any case, I've never seen SONAR or (CWP x for that matter) "forget" the channel assignments.

EDIT: ...and you are loading the GPO instances into the synth rack as Richard suggested, right? You're not using GPO Studio, which is unncessary with SONAR.

I do not recommend loading any VSTi or DXi synth in SONAR directly into an audio track, as you cannot take advantage of the multiple outputs of the VSTi/DXi. The synth rack decouples the synths from the audio tracks and allows you to assign the multiple outs of the synth to multiple audio track in SONAR. GPO has 8 stereo output pairs and is therefore capable of driving up to 8 audio output tracks when loaded in the synth rack.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    I do not recommend loading any VSTi or DXi synth in SONAR directly into an audio track, as you cannot take advantage of the multiple outputs of the VSTi/DXi. The synth rack decouples the synths from the audio tracks and allows you to assign the multiple outs of the synth to multiple audio track in SONAR. GPO has 8 stereo output pairs and is therefore capable of driving up to 8 audio output tracks when loaded in the synth rack.
    Thanks for the heads up Bill.

I didn't know.....
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Talking Re: Problem Loading A SONAR Project With GPO

Aha! Saving as a MIDI-even a Type 1 MIDI-won't cut it! So now I'm saving as Normal or as Bundle and I'm now living happily ever after. Must pay attention to File Type in Save Dialogs. Thanks!

Go Back to forum