• Register
  • Help

Topic: My first post: Badinerie by Bach

Share/Bookmark

My first post: Badinerie by Bach

My first post is a rendition of the well known Badinerie by Bach. Since november 2004 I'm playing with GPO and Overture and now it is the moment for me to ask your opinion.
    I had some problems with posting my URL, therefore I put my URL in the signature. I invite you to visit my homepage and click the link to badinerie.
    And please, comment it, good or bad, critizise. I hope to learn from your feedback.

The sun breaks through because by some magic I can now post my URL here. This is a try: Here is the link to badinerie

Gerard.
    Last edited by GerardR; 05-22-2005 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Can post URL now

Re: My first post: Badinerie by Bach

Gerard:

A nicely done GPO rendition. It's not muddy and the instruments are clean. What I was thinking was that maybe you could edit it a little to make some crescendos/decrescendos to add a little dynamic variety; especially in the second section after the first repeats. This could be done a little softer, perhaps.

Bach is tough to program because even though dynamics are present in his music, a lot of ensembles don't express them enough.

You have a great start with GPO and I enjoyed listening to your use of GPO.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thumbs up Re: My first post: Badinerie by Bach

Gerard welcome to this forum!!!
    Very nice redention of this beautiful piece!
    I enjoy this piece and all those of Bach!!
    Perhaps, if you could highlight the flute melody and put the cembalo as a second line, the piece would be perfect!!
    looking forward to hearing more of your music,
    best,
    Roberto

Gerard,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting this Bach piece.

I enjoyed your first work with GPO very much. I was wondering what sequencer or notation you used.

It may be worth a try slowing down the piece just a tad. Just my opinion. This may help when adding dynamic variety. Other than that, really good job.

I am looking forward to hearing more of your work.

Gary Garritan

Thumbs up Re: My first post: Badinerie by Bach

Quote Originally Posted by GerardR
    And please, comment it, good or bad, critizise. I hope to learn from your feedback.

Gerard.
    Nothing to criticize, nice work. Just a question: is voluntary the tempo "bounce" of some moment? The harpsichord sounds a little loud, is it your choice?

Anyway I love Bach too much, and your rendition is enjoyable, thanks for posting it, go on please.

Fabio

Nice work. Especially the flute.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Gerard:

A nicely done GPO rendition. It's not muddy and the instruments are clean. What I was thinking was that maybe you could edit it a little to make some crescendos/decrescendos to add a little dynamic variety; especially in the second section after the first repeats. This could be done a little softer, perhaps.
    John
    John, I am glad you like my work. I was a little nervous and hesitated to post. To much self-criticism I suppose. You are right about the dynamic variety but it is really difficult to find the good balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Gerard,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting this Bach piece.

And Valhalx, thank you for your appreciation. The positive support of you all encourage me to
    I enjoyed your first work with GPO very much. I was wondering what sequencer or notation you used.

It may be worth a try slowing down the piece just a tad. Just my opinion. This may help when adding dynamic variety.
    Gary Garritan
    Thanks Gary for your warm welcome. My sequencer is Quickscore from Sionsoft. I have an old and outdated version but I am accustomed to it. I enter most of the score by midi keyboard and partly with the mouse and edit manually. Then I export it to Overture to shape and tune it.
    I tried slowing down the piece and you are rigth, it helps in adding variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Nothing to criticize, nice work. Just a question: is voluntary the tempo "bounce" of some moment? The harpsichord sounds a little loud, is it your choice?
    Fabio
    Yes Fabio, the tempo bounce is voluntary. To accentuate the descending line in the violins, to give it a playful character. It is a badinerie, a joke. And yes, I like to hear the harpsichord. It accentuates the beat. But yes, it might be a little softer.

Valhalx, thanks for your appreciation.

Gerard

Well done, Gerard!

While opposing to some other posters I actually quite like the balance and the tempo you´ve found, I think you could add "realism" by giving more articulation to the flute, but maybe that´s rather a question of interpretation than one of rendering....

Leuk!

Groetjes,
    Erik

Welcome, Gerard!

And a very fine first showing. I listened through this several times, and I found the voicing and production quite, quite well done.

I do agree with Gary, though -- a bit slower, perhaps.

Gerard, this is one of those pieces that always tempts for speed, but sings its truest with gentle restraint.

May we look forward to much more from you!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hello Gerard -

To my inexperienced ears, this sounded wonderful. I thought the mix between the harpischord and flute were perfect.

I enjoyed it very much and look forward to hearing more .

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Go Back to forum